General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hareng
(learned) Mon 27-Feb-12 11:11:55
Print Post

Minimum FTTC speed

[link to this post]

I am currently on FTTC and just short of 5 weeks away from contract ending.
To give you some idea quickest download so far 37.45meg and usually hovers around 32meg day or night.

I have had several problems throughout with speeds as low as 20k, BT takes 5 days to cure and may be an entirely different problem.
Is there a minum guaranteed speed ie 15meg?

Present ISP states BT will only accept their speedtest. As many will know there is a time limit before the next test can be done, if it works at all. Latest is i am on a contended connection with as little as 2meg at times but more importantly its the lag, pages time out and if want 24hr connectivity i have to pay for it on the extortionate business pack! mmm.
Routing seems a problem the last 5 months as well doing a tracert, the usual culprits timing out.

So how many others are there with contention and of what ratios.

Its just took me an hour and 5 mins to post this due to pages timing out followed by loss of connection.

Any good ISP's that dont break the bank 15gb day, off peak unlimited.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 11:30:45
Print Post

Re: Minimum FTTC speed

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hareng:
Any good ISP's that dont break the bank 15gb day, off peak unlimited.

www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 27-Feb-12 12:12:57
Print Post

Your ISP is wrong - BT will accept other speed tests but any set of results MUST include BT tests as a reference. How do I know? I had a major problem and the proof was demonstrated by a large set of results from 5 different sources and my ISP is BT.

As for getting speeds down at 2Mbps or even 20k then it suggests there is still an unresolved fault - either on the line, the ISPs equipment or your installation.

Have you used an inbound trace route from TBB's test page to your PC?

As for alternatives - I don't know of any consumer ISPs that will give a guarantee of 15Mbps (minimum) - I have looked at the Plusnet link and cannot find a guarantee.

BT Business - £30/month (without static IP) +VAT gives a guaranteed minimum speed and 24/7 tech support (UK based)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hareng
(learned) Mon 27-Feb-12 16:47:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks both, i have done regular tracerts from the command prompt with variable results certain sites/servers just time out.

Just making sure it not the isp pulling the wool over my eyes.
Other speedtests there can be a delay in loading then an initial peak transfer eg 20meg but drop down quickly after, the end result coming up as 20 meg.
Many a time i cant watch in a low resolution a youtube vid without it buffering! Back to LLU days.
So the latest from isp they did show high network utilisation between between 18:50 and 21:10 and shared contention with other users. (I wouldnt have thought they would have had many.) To cap it the results you have provided for your contended FTTC line really aren't that bad, this was 11meg download.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Feb-12 22:24:52
Print Post

Re: Minimum FTTC speed *DELETED*

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User hareng
(learned) Mon 27-Feb-12 23:49:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Checked that site out Roberto before deleted, too much throttling going on unless extra and cant see any where it could be added.
Funny had a pop up chat message, go on 11 mins later i gave up, hope customer service answers the phone quicker. Thanks all the same no 18 month contract for me.

I did notice theres no minimum speed outside the throttling periods.
So far i havent found any FTTC ISP that gives the contentio ratio to its products. This info was available by any decent ADSL provider many years ago. 12 months is a long time to be at the liberty of other users.
Standard User DannyD12
(regular) Tue 28-Feb-12 11:00:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by hareng:
I did notice theres no minimum speed outside the throttling periods.
So far i havent found any FTTC ISP that gives the contentio ratio to its products. This info was available by any decent ADSL provider many years ago. 12 months is a long time to be at the liberty of other users.

BT got rid of the old contention ratios of 20:1(Business grade) and 50:1(Consumer grade) around the time they started rolling out 21cn. They now have "Premium Service" which increases upload on ADSL Max and supposedly offers prioritized traffic through parts of the BT backbone.

The LLU operators could give out contention ratios but they don't (I guess because TT, Sky and several others are only after consumer business).
  Print Thread

Jump to