General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 06-Mar-12 21:16:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre Availability Checker *DELETED*

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Such a deliberate effort to ensure that a word wasn't picked up (twice) by the language filter that you had to be aware of what you were doing... don't do it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 21:37:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre Availability Checker

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The line distance between the cabinet & the user appears to be even more sensitive information as I have not seen it recorded anywhere, yet to some users (e.g. me) it is critical information, especially when providers state I cannot expect high speeds due to distance from the cabinet.

When taken to task by asking "just what is my recorded distance from the cabinet then?" the silence is deafening.
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 21:45:23
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

I think the issue is that previously it made no difference of the distance to your cab, as ADSL all comes from the exchange, so the full line length was all that mattered.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Mar-12 22:19:47
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

When taken to task by asking "just what is my recorded distance from the cabinet then?" the silence is deafening.
I'd be fairly sure no-one has any idea. Until FTTC there was no reason ever to wonder about it, never mind record it for the millions of lines in the country.

There isn't a recorded distance from the exchange! Just some strange number arrived at in a way we don't know, some time so long ago that BT Group haven't even got a record of how it was arrived at.

The possibility of recording it from the (now occasional, by the sound of things) JDSU test seems not to have occurred to anyone. Or if it did, it was quickly suppressed as subversive tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 22:29:09
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

& on ADSL I was lucky to get 1Mb (on a good day) as my whole line length was/is recorded as 5283m (which does appear quite realistic).

My distance from the cab has been verbally reported as 820m, 900m, 1000m & 1100m by visiting BT engineers.

Those couple of hundred metres (measured electronically with JDSU meters) make such a difference to a FTTC connection.
If I knew the real distance, I/we might have some idea whether my connection was actually performing as it should be.

I know it isn't, but can't prove it (yet).
With a bit of luck, this Thursday's visiting engineer will pinpoint the "fault" & fix it once & for all.

My DS sync speed currently varies between 23Mb & almost 30Mb (23.67Mb for the last 6 days or so).

Back in June (original 8c profile) I enjoyed actual downloads at up to 33Mb, suggesting a sync speed of around 35Mb. (I had no access to any stats back then).
In theory, it should be even better on the 17a profile.

EDIT:

@ RobertoS,

Your post that mentions JDSU meters appeared just as I originally sent this response.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Tue 06-Mar-12 22:36:54)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Mar-12 23:31:03
Print Post

[re: madnutter56] [link to this post]

Recorded Line Length (from exchange): 2521m
Estimated Attenuation (on ADSL): 35dB

When I was ADSL1 it was 32 and when I was adsl2+ it was 34 id say that's pretty much spot on.

You are connected to one of the following:
Cabinet 21 which is currently planned to receive FTTC (96% of lines)
Cabinet 25 which is currently planned to receive FTTC (1% of lines)
Cabinet 30 which is currently planned to receive FTTC (1% of lines)

Our check shows that your cabinet is currently live and accepting orders for .

Your speed estimate for fibre is:
Downstream: 40Mbps
Upstream: 10Mbps

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Attainable 97040D 35659U
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 22.6
Line Length 300meters
Standard User twds
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 23:43:27
Print Post

What an absolutely fantastic tool.

Please keep it online
Standard User drsox
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 00:09:18
Print Post

Would have been nice for you to ask before using the usergroup data without attribution.

Please link to the usergroup page when using results sourced from it!

Edit: Also, good tool tongue but it gives the wrong output for my post code, by cabinet is currently closed to orders (I can only assume the cabinet has hit capacity) having previously been enabled and orders go live on it.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Edited by drsox (Thu 08-Mar-12 00:15:00)

Standard User madnutter56
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 08:07:34
Print Post

[re: drsox] [link to this post]

Tom,
I'll add a link to your site as soon as possible smile

Is the full cabinet signified differently on the BTw checker in any way? - Just wondering if there's any way I can check for it.

Alex smile
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 08:11:24
Print Post

No, the BTw public checker will not show any Fibre availability if it's not taking orders - if it was previously doing so and is live. So it will just start to show being available again once they add more capacity or resolve the issue.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Thu 08-Mar-12 08:11:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to