General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 22:41:53
Print Post

Hacking FTTC modem (Huawei HG612)

[link to this post]

I have d/l the instructions and firmware.

One thing is not clear. When one connects to LAN2, can the lead to LAN1 be kept connected for must it be removed?

TIA,

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Matt182
(member) Wed 07-Mar-12 00:54:08
Print Post

Re: Hacking FTTC modem (Huawei HG612)

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

You can keep it in, just done mine the other day and never removed it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
# TISCALI -> freeserve -> Wanadoo -> plusnet -> ZeN -> ADSL24 -> ZeN -> Sky -> BTInfinity Option 2

Sky LLU
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1486770460.png

BT FTTC
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1701178076.png
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 20:46:17
Print Post

[re: Matt182] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. TBH, I cannot see the point in unlocking the modem. okay, I will get more stats, but that really won't help with anything. Now if I could tweak the SNRM...that would be different and I would have done it already.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 22:45:40
Print Post

@ DrTeeth,

You must be lucky to have a pretty good connection then.

Fancy a swap?:-
IP Profiles graph

frown frown
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 23:19:57
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
IP Profiles graph

Looks like you need LLU without profiles. (#adsl2+solutions)

I assume the profiles are in the OR kit and so apply to WBC and non-WBC providers (e.g. TalkTalk) in the same way?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 00:49:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I assume the profiles are in the OR kit and so apply to WBC and non-WBC providers (e.g. TalkTalk) in the same way?
Yes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Mar-12 12:20:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
@ DrTeeth,

You must be lucky to have a pretty good connection then.

Fancy a swap?:-
IP Profiles graph

frown frown

I feel your pain. I max out a 40/10 connection since the profile change. Was getting 5.7MB/s d/l on 80/20 trial, which has since dropped to 5.

DrT

(member) Fri 09-Mar-12 18:36:13
Print Post

Well, following an engineer's visit this morning my sync speed is back up to 35.3Mb, IP Profile at 34.19Mb & throughput on speed tests at 33.10Mb.

speedtest.net result

It has taken almost 7 months to get back to these speeds & I feel I should be achieving a little better as I was switched to the 17a profile in October.

However, if the connection remains stable at the current speeds I will be reasonably happy.

I would just add that without the aid of the stats & graphs from an unlocked modem & a patient ISP (Plusnet) I would probably still be stuck with a really unstable & low speed connection.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Sat 10-Mar-12 00:09:03
Print Post

Re: Hacking FTTC modem (Huawei HG612) *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford

Referral link in sig, now removed.

Edited by billford (Sat 10-Mar-12 10:29:24)

(member) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:50:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Have you any hair left now?

Haha.

I didn't have a lot to start with & have even less now smile

From my logs I noticed the modem had resynced at just after 5:00 this morning.

Sync speed is down to 33.14Mb, IP Profile at 32.07Mb & throughput at 30.14Mb.

speedtest.net result

I canít see what might have caused the re-sync other than DLM trying different settings until it finds a suitable balance between speed & stability over the first 48 hours.
The 10 day training period does not exist for VDSL2/FTTC connections (despite what ISPs & BT agents might tell us).

I noticed that Interleaving had been turned off for both DS & US, hence the ping time of only 5ms.

I thought that a little strange though as I still see quite a lot of various errors & error seconds.

Interleaving had always been on at varying depths (up to 1700) for my DS & off for US until yesterday.

Following yesterdayís DLM reset & until this morningís re-sync, DS interleaving was at a depth of 16 & US at a depth of 8.
Now they are both at a depth of 1 & 1 (off).

Impulse Noise Protection is also currently at 0.00 for US & DS, as is delay.
I donít ever recall seeing that previously for my connection.

I think during the next 24 hours will be when the connection stabilises (according to BTís SIN 498 document):-

ď2.2.5 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on wide open profiles, allowing downstream line speeds of up to 40Mbit/s, and upstream line speeds of up to 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s depending on the upstream product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.

Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before intervening, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate.

The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user powering off the Active NTE.Ē

The time frame mentioned is rather vague (in days rather than hours), so maybe BTís day starts at 5:00am?

My modem re-synced in the early hours (around 20 hours after the DLM reset), when SNRM is at its lowest.
Maybe it would have achieved a higher speed if it had re-synced at around 2:00pm, when SNRM is usually at its highest.

Iíll resist the urge to FORCE any re-syncs for the next few days as I really donít want DLM to think my connection has become unstable again.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sat 10-Mar-12 09:51:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to