General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Mar-12 10:12:22
Print Post

Cabinet Info - Planning

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I am waiting for a number of cabinets to be installed in cheltenham and have been watching the planning information from the local council.

If any of you are waiting they it may be worth checking your local planning office online, for us in Cheltenham a number of cabinets went in no problems but some 37 needed planning applications.

So if you are waiting for your cabinet it may need planning which you should be able to view. Also i can take up to 6 weeks just to get the planning OK'd...so who know how long the cabs will take. Below is a link to the application which provides loads of information for anyone interested.

http://idox.cheltenham.gov.uk/PLWAM/showCaseFile.do?...

Happy to provide any more info.
Standard User carlpalmer
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 10:16:35
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Info - Planning

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Did not login to post this....DOH
Standard User DannyD12
(regular) Wed 07-Mar-12 15:46:02
Print Post

[re: carlpalmer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by carlpalmer:
Did not login to post this....DOH

It's a requirement for planning offices to have this info available so if BT have to put in an Advanded Notice then it should be on the local council website. This only applies in conservation areas and similar where BT code powers don't outweigh the local councils power over preservation of looks in a certain area. Where BT can use code powers then local councils are very hit and miss over whether they update to their web sites.

Unfortunately my cabinet has just been rejected because it's green even though our high street is a right hodge podge of buildings (BT somewhat stupidly requested it to be placed right next to a Grade II listed building...), why they didn't request it to be placed on the other side of the road where the current cabinet is I have no idea as there's no listed buildings that side and more room on the pathway.

The problem is if it's rejected BT might just not bother with that cabinet or in my case exchange (this was the only cabinet on the councils website for my town).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User carlpalmer
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:08:02
Print Post

[re: DannyD12] [link to this post]

Sorry for your issues!

Did you say that the cabinet you are using is going into the town centre?

We seem to be lacking in Infinity in the town centre....
Standard User DannyD12
(regular) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:52:27
Print Post

Yeah I'm on the cabinet in the town centre, I'm only 100m away from the proposed cabinet (it's a small town!) and it seems to be the only one BT are looking to put in even though there's alot of residential homes on the other side of the exchange which "should" be easy to put on FTTC as there's nothing between the housing and the exchange building but that's BT for ya!

I'm not going to complain as I can get 20Mb on both my lines currently but more upload would certainly help working from home. I'm sort of in limbo at the moment as I could change both lines to a provider that does Annex M and bonding but I don't want to bother if FTTC is going to be put in shortly.

It's just difficult to understand BTs decisions most of the time, why would they put a planning application to install a cabinet right next to a listed building when it's the other side of the road from the current cabinet (which also has ducting all along that side of the road and more space)?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:55:13
Print Post

[re: DannyD12] [link to this post]

The plinth the cabinet sits on may not be compatible with what is under the pavement, or the mains is easier to access on other side of the road.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Mar-12 19:16:17
Print Post

Hi Carl,

I'm also waiting for one of those 37 cabinets in Cheltenham to be installed, thankfully mine went through with "No Objection", I believe 36 out of the 37 did.

Now I am just wondering how long BT will take to actually get installing, keeping a keen eye on the planned Cheltenham roadworks from the Gloucestershire Highways Agency. Sadly no sign yet, but I imagine it takes some time for BT to plan works in once no objection has been raised..
Standard User carlpalmer
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 10:49:01
Print Post

You a lucky one then should not be to long! Will post when i see some action near the cabinet with planning near my work.

I am waiting for cabinet 53 in the town centre....worried that BT will never do this as it i will kill it's leased lines business....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Jun-12 15:33:22
Print Post

Hey Carl,

I am the same anonymous poster as previously. Any luck with your cabinet being done? Mine has been installed, but still no information available on BT's line checker as to when an estimated provisioning date is.

In fact, having checked many postcodes where cabinets are now installed (even with the "Fibre Broadband is Here" posters attached), they are not actually showing up as available/nor with a forecast date. Makes a bit of a mockery of the posters, although they do seem to be in areas where Virgin Media also are so perhaps they could be excused on that count? wink

Will
  Print Thread

Jump to