General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 17:41:33
Print Post

Will many of us have FTTP by the end of march?

[link to this post]

Lots of towns are supposedly getting upgraded, here we have mixed FTTC/P but i've seen little sign of any FTTP, what's going on?
Standard User Moradin
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:01:16
Print Post

Re: Will many of us have FTTP by the end of march?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

FTTP has changed. in that they are going to offer it to anyone who's cabinet is connected. they have conducted trials of the service , and we are just waiting on the detail.

According to Openreach, yes, there's a bunch due in march, and another bunch due in July. take the dates with a pinch of salt.

in some areas due by march, they are live. others have a shell cabinet up, but no power etc.

its all different all over.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:04:38
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Its changed, but we are still expecting some FTTP roll-out, i.e. it will not all be on-demand.

FTTC generally comes first, FTTP after due to the extra work getting fibre to pass each property.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:13:25
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Ours is due end of March. I thought they were getting close when I saw an engineer with a laptop plugged into a cabinet last week. Then this morning I came across a contractor burying cables for them. meanwhile four more cabinets are awaiting approval because they are in a conversation zone. Two have been rejected once already.

Really it's anyone's guess. It'll arrive when it arrives smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:15:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Our fttp rollout is delayed because they now have to unbung some of the collapsed/clogged ducting between the poles in the village. I think most of the preliminary tubing has been done, but they will have to return to complete it. Don't know how far they are with blowing the fibre in - they are coming about 8 or 9 miles from the serving exchange (which is not the local exchange). Two villages closer to town are getting fttc , they are due live end of March

ISP: Goscomb Technologies
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 18:18:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But in areas without an actual FTTP rollout, those of us on EO lines will completely be left out as we don't have a cabinet so can't use the on demand service.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 08-Mar-12 20:15:24
Print Post

In the superfast Cornwall program with the EO lines, BT is currently developing a soultion which has not yet been revealed.

This is taken from the FAQ on the superfast cornwall site.

You may be on an 'exchange only' line one that is connected directly to the telephone exchange, without an intervening green roadside cabinet. Regulations do not currently allow the technology used to deliver superfast broadband from the cabinets to be used in the exchanges. However, we are in the process of developing solutions for these exchange only lines

Its likely to be a fibre soultion both EO lines can be short and long, so its going to be a interesting soultion to the problem.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Thu 08-Mar-12 20:16:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 00:45:39
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
... meanwhile four more cabinets are awaiting approval because they are in a conversation zone.
tongue
That's usually the case with phone cabinets. smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 07:09:10
Print Post

I think in reality that it will be probably 3-5 years before we start to notice any major effects of the roll out of FTTP. I think that due to the cost involved it will be financially impossible to start a mass roll out, but I do believe that it will be steady very constant implementation over a very assiduous phased schedule.
Standard User DannyD12
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:29:20
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
In the superfast Cornwall program with the EO lines, BT is currently developing a soultion which has not yet been revealed.

This is taken from the FAQ on the superfast cornwall site.

You may be on an 'exchange only' line one that is connected directly to the telephone exchange, without an intervening green roadside cabinet. Regulations do not currently allow the technology used to deliver superfast broadband from the cabinets to be used in the exchanges. However, we are in the process of developing solutions for these exchange only lines

Its likely to be a fibre soultion both EO lines can be short and long, so its going to be a interesting soultion to the problem.

Surely this only relates to FTTC connections, Offcom have rules against VDSL equipment in the exchanges because of possible cross talk issues but this isn't the case with FTTP and fibre direct from the exchange to customer premises (ethernet gateways to business) have been around for years.

Is there anything different on the BT side of an FTTP connection compared to standard fibre deployment that would stop them being used in EO rollouts?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to