General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grenade
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 17:44:05
Print Post

Infinity/Fibre questions

[link to this post]

Hello

My exchange has FTTC, so I'm thinking of making the change to BT Infinity. I have a few questions that I hope some you guys on here could answer...

I'm currently with O2 for my broadband and getting a 12Mbps connection. On the BT Infinity website it says that I should be able to get 40Mbps. According to another website (Sam Knows) I live 580m from my exchange (in a straight line). I think the cabinet is 25m away from my house. Guys who have FTTC- what speed do you get? I've read that if BT supply you with anything above 10Mbps they are happy, even if you don't get close to 40. I don't fancy paying an extra £12 monthly for a similar speed, so if I paid that extra money I'd like a guarantee that I'd be getting somewhere close to the 40 they offer. Also, with the speed doubling that will take place soon, if I was to get say 35Mbps on Infinity, is there any way of predicting how much would I be looking at when doubled?

Best thing about my broadband package is I'm on one of the old O2 packages, so I don't get traffic management on my line. I get a consistent speed which is great for streaming, P2P and XBox Live. BT Infinity has traffic shaping at peak times though, and I'm wondering how much this affects the speed. I get up to 1.4MBps downloads on uTorrent at all times. BT Infinity at its best can currently get close to 5MBps on P2P which is excellent, but what is it like during the peak times? If it is anything less than 1.4MBps during peak times then it isn't really worth it for me.

I can get FTTC but not FTTP. I've read about BT having FTTP on demand next year, and I'd definitely be interested in this. Does anyone have any information on this with regards to costing? As I said I live about 25m from my nearest cabinet (I think!) so not too much fibre-optic cable would be required. How much would that much cabling cost? Is there any way I could get this done before the FTTP on demand option is available?

O2 announced in June last year that they would be trialling FTTC later in 2011, but as of yet there hasn't been an update. BT supposedly has poor customer service, and I'm perfectly happy with O2 so I'd rather stay with O2 fibre optic if possible. Anyone have any updates on O2s plans to roll out FTTC?

With regards to my BT line, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, I am not the named account holder for my BT line, will this cause a problem with BT? I want the internet in my name. Secondly, we're currently on a basic package with BT, paying £14.40 quarterly. On the BT Infinity website, when looking at ordering the package it says you have to take a 10.75 monthly line rental package- is this mandatory? Am I able to keep my current package and upgrade to FTTC?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Mar-12 18:03:23
Print Post

Re: Infinity/Fibre questions

[re: Grenade] [link to this post]

What a guarantee, pay a few hundred pounds a month, a not nice equation but it is reality.

If 25m from cabinet, then 40Meg should be easy, and 80Meg also.

O2 FTTC - needs the new O2/Be network to be constructed which is still waiting on a sign off on the costs from Telefonica group.

FTTP on demand - no prices yet, but expect £400 to £1500 as ball park install fees.

The £14 a quarter tarriff is a social tarriff, i.e. sold well below cost which is around £9-£10 a month. So if you can afford Infinity they presume you have no need for a social tarriff.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:15:04
Print Post

Im 80m from the exchange and my max attainable rate is 129Mbit (FTTC) so im guessing at 25m you will be ok.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:57:39
Print Post

My line length from the Cabinet is about 300m and I get 40/10Mbps at the moment. My modem gives the max attainable as 100/35Mbps. So unless your phone line is wet string you should be ok.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User hareng
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-12 15:06:15
Print Post

As others have said you will be fine getting the install, it used to be a minmum of 15meg down.

Having had this out with current ISP, there is no minimum speed ie they can provide a service with as little as dial up speeds.
If want a better service, pay for it by going to a business pack with higher priority, hence why i am off in a few weeks.

Stick with old LLU O2, i was on it this time last year and hang on until FTTC is implemented, great customer service for peanuts.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Mar-12 15:32:20
Print Post

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hareng:
Stick with old LLU O2, i was on it this time last year and hang on until FTTC is implemented, great customer service for peanuts.
You think it will happen? I think 4G more likely.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to