General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mark90997
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-12 19:40:09
Print Post

Questing on Cabling

[link to this post]

Hey,

Last year I was with BT and had OR out to my house a few times.

At this point the master socket was upstairs rougly where the line came into the house and the router was down stairs connected to a slave socket.

At this time I was experiencing problems with my line so when the OR engineer came out from what I could tell he back cabled down the same cable to switch which socket was the master. So now the master is downstairs and the slave upstairs.
Is it normal to back cable something like this? Or was he just lazy?

Could this affect my broadband at all?
I've not seen it affecting anything in the past year but just thinking about it.... should it of been re-wired like this or should it be something that I should try and get changed via sky?

Edited by mark90997 (Fri 09-Mar-12 19:43:32)

Standard User mark90997
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-12 19:44:25
Print Post

Re: Questing on Cabling

[re: mark90997] [link to this post]

No idea how this got in the fibre area o.O - can someone move it please smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 19:47:51
Print Post

There is no issue with this. One pair is taken from the incoming line direct downstairs, then using a spare within the internal cable it is taken back to the socket upstairs. This is often used in conjunction with a filter plate to normalise previous star wiring issues or to simply locate the master socket in a convenient location for the end user.
Sounds like he improved your setup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Fri 09-Mar-12 19:51:17
Print Post

Some may so its a poor way to wire up an extension, but that is how my ADSL was installed over 11 years ago and it make no diference to me.
Of course each installation is unique and its easy to check if its making a difference by comparing stats when connecting to the test socket as this will disconnect the back wired extension
Standard User mark90997
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-12 19:54:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Some may so its a poor way to wire up an extension, but that is how my ADSL was installed over 11 years ago and it make no diference to me.
Of course each installation is unique and its easy to check if its making a difference by comparing stats when connecting to the test socket as this will disconnect the back wired extension

I'll give that a try sometime. Thanks for the suggestion smile
  Print Thread

Jump to