General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-12 23:33:08
Print Post

FTTC install?

[link to this post]

I am thinking of getting fibre, either BT Infinity or Plusnet, but before I make a decision I would like some advise on the install process.

My master socket is in the hall with no power sockets nearby. I have a phone extension hard wired into the base of the master plate. The extension socket is in the living room next to a single power socket where the phone base unit is currently plugged in.

A Couple of questions:

Can the engineer convert the phone extension socket into a master?

Do the modem and hub have to be plugged directly into power sockets or would it be ok to plug them into a 3 way extension lead (modem, hub, phone)?

Thanks
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Mar-12 23:51:10
Print Post

Re: FTTC install?

[re: Rever] [link to this post]

My old ADSL only socket from a 2001 BT engineer install was converted to become my master and VDSL socket. The old master/ADSL socket downstairs became just a phone extension.

My VDSL power supply is plugged intio a 12way extension. My router is in a 6 way extension hanging off the 12 way one !!!!

I cannot see any problem with a 3 way extension lead smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-Mar-12 23:57:04
Print Post

The existing extension wiring may or may not be suitable. Who installed it, and have you any idea what the specification is? Does it have anyything like CW1308 printed on the cable?

Is it hidden behind walls or just attached to skirting boards and such?

The engineer can in any case install a Data Extension Lead from the master to your extension, (or elsewhere if you like), and put the modem at the current or new extension.

A decent engineer would convert the extension into a master, yes. Is the socket in the hall completely unnecessary, or would you need to be able to use it?

Yes, the modem, router and phone base station can all be connected into a 3-way power extension lead.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rever
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 00:10:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The existing extension wiring may or may not be suitable. Who installed it, and have you any idea what the specification is? Does it have anyything like CW1308 printed on the cable?

Is it hidden behind walls or just attached to skirting boards and such?
Can't see anything printed on the cable. It is the flat type and I installed it.

I ran it along the bottom of the skirting, tucked down behind the carpet gripper rods. The run is approx 2mtrs.

A decent engineer would convert the extension into a master, yes. Is the socket in the hall completely unnecessary, or would you need to be able to use it?

The current location of the master is of no use.
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 00:11:33
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
My old ADSL only socket from a 2001 BT engineer install was converted to become my master and VDSL socket. The old master/ADSL socket downstairs became just a phone extension.

My VDSL power supply is plugged intio a 12way extension. My router is in a 6 way extension hanging off the 12 way one !!!!

I cannot see any problem with a 3 way extension lead smile
Thanks Squirrel
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Mon 12-Mar-12 10:30:54
Print Post

My master socket is also in the hall. All my adsl gear is in my server room about 3 meters from the master socket. I changed the lower section of the master socket for a filtered face plate, this from what I understand is the same as what BT will fit.

I've then run CAT5E cable from this face plate using the internal connections to sockets in my server room, one RJ45 and one phone socket.

From what others have said BT will not use my extension socket when they do the FTTC install, but I can just reconnect the wires afterwards.

You can still run your phone extension from the master socket.

Any question's just ask, I can also recommend Plusnet, I've been with them for nine years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-12 10:35:02
Print Post

Flat types are usually unsuitable, as the non-twisted nature can cause havoc with VDSL2.

A data extension installed by engineer seems most likely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rever
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 20:31:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What type of cable and plugs do they use from the master to the modem and from the modem to the hub?
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 20:52:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rever:
What type of cable and plugs do they use from the master to the modem and from the modem to the hub?
(1) A VDSL2 cable with RJ11 plugs at each end.
(2) An Ethernet cable with RJ45 plugs at each end.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Mon 12-Mar-12 20:53:36)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 12-Mar-12 20:56:26
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
(1) A VDSL2 cable with RJ11 plugs at each end.

VDSL2? It doesn't look any different from any other "modem" cable to me.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to