General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 12-Mar-12 17:24:40
Print Post

How well is FTTP progressing?

[link to this post]

We hear about FTTC and new cabs popping up all the time but what about FTTP, why is hardly anyone talking about it?

Has your area had much work done?

Do you think it will be complete by the end of march?

If your street has been upgraded how long did it take?

How many homes do you see connected?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:47:10
Print Post

Re: How well is FTTP progressing?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Because the emphasis is on getting millions connected fast, which is easier with FTTC. FTTP tends to take a back seat, as it takes many more hours to connect each property

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Mar-12 19:20:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Because the emphasis is on getting millions connected fast, which is easier with FTTC. FTTP tends to take a back seat, as it takes many more hours to connect each property

Agreed.

I am glad that FTTC is a priority for BT as FTTP can be rolled out when the FTTC rollout is complete.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 12-Mar-12 22:38:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I know but as some areas were set to get FTTP before the news of FTTP on demand, id like to know more about how it's been going for others, who's has it, if theres been delays etc?
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 08:56:18
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4102122-wil...

5th post down or thereabouts

ISP: Goscomb Technologies
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Tue 13-Mar-12 09:14:57
Print Post

Nothing here in Shrewsbury. My cab is slated for FTTP, but no sign of anything happening (I'm fed on an overhead line).

FTTC seems to be moving on fast here though - other cabs nearby have had the FTTC cab installed for some time (November last year) and I think some may even be taking orders. The BT Wholesale checker for my line just states what I can get via ADSL2+ (no mention of fibre optic technology), while telephone numbers attached to new FTTC cabs have the fibre speed estimate displayed.

I suspect it will be a while before anything happens here.

Edited by jhurrell (Tue 13-Mar-12 09:15:23)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 14:18:18
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

We're half way through march now, surely more people have seen some sign of fttp work being done?

What concerns me is being in a mixed area means bt's estimate of 31st of march may be mostly for those getting a cab, fttp is supposed to be the best service so they should make more of an effort to deliver it as it's future proof and a lot better, i was happy about being in an fttp post code at first but now im not so sure, especially considering there's no info either about whether sky will offer their broadband over it like with fttc.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 14:32:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
We're half way through march now, surely more people have seen some sign of fttp work being done?

What concerns me is being in a mixed area means bt's estimate of 31st of march may be mostly for those getting a cab, fttp is supposed to be the best service so they should make more of an effort to deliver it as it's future proof and a lot better, i was happy about being in an fttp post code at first but now im not so sure, especially considering there's no info either about whether sky will offer their broadband over it like with fttc.

Future orioof and a lot better is a bit of an odd comment, while FTTP can get up to 1Gbps nobody is even looking at offering those sorts of packages yet and VDSL2 still has some more ooomph to come with the 30a profile as well as vectoring which could see FTTC speeds hit 300 mbps.

Add that somebody in israel has also bonded FTTC lines and we could see VDSL2 speeds only marginally slower than FTTP at a fraction of the cost.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 16-Mar-12 14:38:29
Print Post

It would be faster for BT to upgrade a exchange for FTTC first and then do the FTTP install, as the largest customer base has been enabled and can take orders while the longer FTTP installs can then be done.

Cost is the main factor in the rollout, why alot of FTTP has been dropped in favour of FTTC. If you look on BT openreach site 'where and when' the fttp list is for new builds mainly, where it is cheaper to install during construction.

Their will be a certain % of FTTP in the end of the rollout, just a heavy majority towards FTTC.
Having FTTP on demand also can remove alot of the need for BT to deploy FTTP out of their own funds.

As for Sky offering FTTP, will have to wait and see if they decide to once their FTTC product has launched.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Mar-12 14:52:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Future proof and a lot better is a bit of an odd comment, while FTTP can get up to 1Gbps nobody is even looking at offering those sorts of packages yet and VDSL2 still has some more ooomph to come with the 30a profile as well as vectoring which could see FTTC speeds hit 300 mbps.

Add that somebody in israel has also bonded FTTC lines and we could see VDSL2 speeds only marginally slower than FTTP at a fraction of the cost.

I meant future proof in the sense that once we have pure fibre that's it, all it takes is faster electronics at each end and we could eventually have many gigabits or even theoretically terabits one day.

Anyway my issue is with the slow pace of the fttp rollout, it's supposed to be the best and those of us thought to be getting it were the lucky ones but if there's long delays id rather have a cab, to be honest id be more than happy with 40/10 for years to come as long as i can get it now.
  Print Thread

Jump to