General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Mar-12 09:34:35
Print Post

Faceplate: Why?

[link to this post]

Hello

I've been told that once the engineer has gone, I can replace the faceplate that they fitted with the original and plug the modem (with a mircofilter) into any socket in a similiar way with ADSL. I have good wiring in the house and get 19mb with BE*.

Is this true? If so, why isn't FTTC a self-install?

Thanks,

Steve
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 14-Mar-12 09:51:36
Print Post

Re: Faceplate: Why?

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
Hello

I've been told that once the engineer has gone, I can replace the faceplate that they fitted with the original and plug the modem (with a mircofilter) into any socket in a similiar way with ADSL. I have good wiring in the house and get 19mb with BE*.

Is this true? If so, why isn't FTTC a self-install?

Thanks,

Steve

The use of a filter faceplate goes back to the original method for ASDL before it became self-install, so no doubt when FTTC becomes self-install we shall see a return to plug in micro filters.

This will be a pity, and all the problems which manifest themselves when using normal extension wiring will return, only more so with VDSL.

Edited by systemx (Wed 14-Mar-12 11:05:21)

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Mar-12 13:05:18
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Can you even use the same micro-filters?

I have to say I was under the (completely wrong) impression that the faceplate did something miraculous rather than just split the line and filter off the rest of the wiring.

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Mar-12 13:37:13
Print Post

Yes. But what's the problem in keeping the installation as done by the engineer? He won't wreck your existing wiring.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 14-Mar-12 13:55:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes. But what's the problem in keeping the installation as done by the engineer? He won't wreck your existing wiring.

Im guessing the op wants to plug the FTTC modem into one of the extensions instead of the master which with the filter in place would not work because the broadband signal would be filtered before it hits the extension, (based on my current ADSL set-up with pre filtered faceplate)

Just my guess anyway

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:23:39
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Yes, this.

The master socket is in the children's playroom and I want to plug in the modem in my study on the other side of the house.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:40:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by boxst:
Can you even use the same micro-filters?

I have to say I was under the (completely wrong) impression that the faceplate did something miraculous rather than just split the line and filter off the rest of the wiring.

Steve

Yes you can use the same micro-filters, but do not be supprised if the performance on VDSL suffers using your original extension wiring. Suck it and see.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:41:26
Print Post

Best method is as below (I've copied it from a post I made on another forum), if you use your existing wiring then I suspect it's only normal phone wiring and it could be susceptible to interference.

If your capable of basic wiring you can run your own extension for the modem, I would not want any of BT's cables going any further than my master socket - BT own them and it is illegal to tamper with or alter them, this includes extensions they fit.

BT will fit a new master socket face plate, you can legally remove the lower section of the face plate, inside are two teminals marked A & B (see link below), you need to run CAT5E network cable from these two terminals to a RJ45 socket next to your modem. You need to use 1 pair of the wires in the cable, and connect these to pins 4 & 5 which is the blue/bule-white terminals in the RJ45 socket. The RJ11 modem cable will plug into this socket and your modem.

The CAT5E cable has 4 pairs of wires, so you can use another pair to run a telephone extension to where your modem is as well, all in the same cable smile

You will need a Krone punch down tool, I recommend this one http://www.clarity.it/xca...38&cat=257&page=1 and avoid running the cable with power cables as they can cause interference.

Uselful links:

VDSL2 extension and socket http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2...-uk-fttc-vdsl2-explained/
Telephone wiring - http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm and http://www.wppltd.demon.c...lephone/uk_telephone.html
Parts and further guides http://www.clarity.it/
Cat5e cable http://www.clarity.it/xca...6214&cat=0&page=1 cheaper sources can be found.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:50:39
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I would not want any of BT's cables going any further than my master socket - BT own them and it is illegal to tamper with or alter them, this includes extensions they fit.
Errrm? I think you are wrong there.

Extension cabling and sockets belong to you, with (IIRC) a 12-month warranty.

The Data extension cable may be a special case, as it is used to move the modem away from the master. Or sometimes to re-site the master, in which case as you say, it becomes illegal to tamper with.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:55:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I would not want any of BT's cables going any further than my master socket - BT own them and it is illegal to tamper with or alter them, this includes extensions they fit.
Errrm? I think you are wrong there.

Extension cabling and sockets belong to you, with (IIRC) a 12-month warranty.

The Data extension cable may be a special case, as it is used to move the modem away from the master. Or sometimes to re-site the master, in which case as you say, it becomes illegal to tamper with.

The data extension is also yours, and remains so should you cease FTTC service, but of course the modem has to be returned.

Edited by systemx (Wed 14-Mar-12 14:58:19)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to