General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HavellN
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 12:52:31
Print Post

FTTC partially available, when fully available?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in Bury St Edmunds (exchange EABSE) where it seems most of the town has had FTTC available for a fair time now, but there are some parts that don't. Can anyone shed any light on when FTTC is likely to become fully available here? The post code is IP32 7GF.

thanks,
Nath
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 15-Mar-12 13:32:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC partially available, when fully available?

[re: HavellN] [link to this post]

According to the December list, it's bad news --
EABSE,BURY ST. EDMONDS,IP327GF,{EABSE}{P75},0,100%,,,,
That cabinet is not due to be implemented in the near future. I'm surprised because that post code is not in the town centre, so it can not be due to a conservation area issue.

Although Bury St Edmunds is my home town, I am not familiar with the far eastern fringes on Morton Hall. It looks as if every property for that post code is a new build. Perhaps the developers may have some information? Maybe they discussed the development with the relevant division of the BT Group?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User HavellN
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 13:59:02
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt reply. As you say, doesnt sound like good news blush(

The area i live in was build in 2006 and there is an area over the road that was only build a couple of years ago which doesnt seem to have it available either.

Is there someone within BT Group or elsewhere that i can ask for futher clarification?

thanks,
Nath

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Mar-12 14:24:59
Print Post

Openreach is not consumer facing, its down to the broadband providers to pester them.

Also they rarely cover all cabinets in an exchange area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:13:38
Print Post

Is there someone within BT Group or elsewhere that i can ask for futher clarification?
Sorry, Nath, I do not know where (within the Group) such policy decisions are made.

Have you found where PCP75 is actually located? I had a "wander around" with Google Map's Street View but could not spot it. Considering that all the lines for that post code are connected via that primary cross-connection cabinet and it is a residential area (plus a Primary School) I would have thought that there would be a good "take up" of the NGA fibre product and, thus, a return on any capital expenditure.

If I was in your situation, I would do three things:

(1) locate PCP75
(2) discuss the non-provision of the NGA fibre product with (a) St Edmundsbury Borough Council (b) David Ruffley, MP

Standard User Moradin
(member) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:23:43
Print Post

And get everyone in the postcodes that that cabinet serves.. to whack their phone number, and provide an email address to the BT checker, and the ''register for interest in Fibre'.

i would suggest the latter is far more successful appoach than any other.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:26:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew -- Where in this thread do you see any mention of Openreach? Apart from your yabba-yabba posting and this, my response.

Please, please, think before posting. This "non-thinking before posting" activity is one of the failures of this site's fora. It seems almost as if people will post just about anything to increment their total post-count number. frown

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:28:40
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

A good idea -- except you replied to me and not Nath, the OP. wink

Standard User HavellN
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:40:18
Print Post

Cheers for the additional info blush)

I've had a look on street view also and have found a box on the entrance to Airfield Rd from Mount Road. This would seem to be for the area of houses on that side of mount road, I don't know if this would cover my side of mount road too? I'll keep looking...

I contacted my ISP but they have replied and said to register my interest with BT.

I will contact the MP see what he has to say, seems he was opening a local broadband conference last week so should know what he's on about...

thanks,
Nath
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:42:53
Print Post

Out of interest, I have just entered The Flying Fortress' telephone number into the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker and it shows the following --

BT Wholesale
THE BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

For Telephone Number 01284787665 on Exchange GREAT BARTON

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note that they are served by the Great Barton exchange (although the area dialing code is shared with Bury St Edmunds).

On checking for the FF postcode in the December document, I see -- null. Absolutely nothing. There is not an entry for that postcode. frown

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 15-Mar-12 15:46:47)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to