General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 15:04:28
Print Post

Regarding Infinity Installation

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

My area is scheduled for FTTC at the end of this month, but I have a slight problem; the PC that will be the primary user of the service is located upstairs, and there is no phone socket nearby. I understand the engineer can use a 30m extension cable to compensate for problems like these, however it seems a little impractical.

I read a few posts on other forums stating that if you ASK the engineer when he's performing the install, he'll put in a new phone socket for you in your chosen location. A bit sceptical about these claims, I first contacted BT on their live-chat, and I was told that if the engineer has the equipment with him on the day, he'll do it, however if not I would have to arrange another appointment. I also sent BT an email to confirm this, who then told me it would cost £135 for this service?!

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? Wireless is not an option for me (slow/unreliable), and the only other solution I can think of is using a pair of these. Also I'm aware the engineer can drill through walls in order to get the cable to where it needs to go, but I'm not sure my parents will be too happy with this!

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Mar-12 15:43:19
Print Post

Re: Regarding Infinity Installation

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Question: How does broadband get to the computer now?

The Openreach modem can be up to 30m from the master socket, if the Data Extension kit was ordered, and engineers usually have them.

if the Openreach modem and the Home Hub 3 can be downstairs, then you can simply drag the PC downstairs for installation day, and once the engineer has left, use a LONG ethernet cable between the Openreach modem and Home Hub3 to site the hub in a better location for you.

Remember the Ethernet cables can run for up to 100m. Its only when its the VDSL signal into the Openreach modem does the 30m limit apply (because thats how long the cable in their kit is).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 16:06:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the response!

Ah the fact that the Openreach modem connects to the Homehub via ethernet completely slipped my mind, that makes thing's a whole lot easier thank you.

In that case it might make more sense to have the fibre modem installed downstairs and either link it up to the Homehub via a long ethernet cable or a pair of Powerline adapters (would this cause issues?).

Thanks for the help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 16:18:54
Print Post

Hi OP again, sorry for the double post, cant edit.

Quick question, can a secondary phone socket be upgraded with the new faceplate, or does it HAVE to be the master phone socket?
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Thu 15-Mar-12 16:40:47
Print Post

A method to consider is to use powerline connection, 200 Mbps AV adapters ones have enough bandwidth for FTTC. You'll need 2, one to connect to the router and another to your computer.

I'm using some cheap and cheerful ones from 7dayshop and they perform more than adequately.

All you need are electrical sockets available. Avoid putting them into strips with surge protection...

Edited by TheManStan (Thu 15-Mar-12 16:41:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Mar-12 16:41:10
Print Post

It has to be the master socket, though as you have seen, that can often be re-sited.

Powerline adapters are used by several posters here, using FTTC, but the 200Mbps ones seem to be the absolute minimum speed that will cope with the high speed if you are close enough to the cabinet.

Don't forget 80/20 is coming in April. I doubt if they would cope with real high-end connections on that.

I don't know if latency is affected, sorry. Are you a gamer, so that would matter, or isn't it an issue?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Thu 15-Mar-12 16:46:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

To answer Robs issue of latency, i don't see any issues.

My speedtest is using a server in Mechelen, Belgium (I'm just outside Oxford) and i'd say 33 ms shows that using powerline adds no significant latency.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Mar-12 17:39:37
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheManStan:
A method to consider is to use powerline connection, 200 Mbps AV adapters ones have enough bandwidth for FTTC. You'll need 2, one to connect to the router and another to your computer.

I'm using some cheap and cheerful ones from 7dayshop and they perform more than adequately.

All you need are electrical sockets available. Avoid putting them into strips with surge protection...

I found that the 200Mbps Devolo units I was using topped out at around 30Mbps throughput, The power line units are very much dependant on the condition of your mains wiring. Rather than go to the expense of 500Mbps units I used a suitable length of ethernet cable.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 17:53:03
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciate it!

Hmm, I'm a little sceptical towards the use of powerline units, as I have no idea of the quality of our mains wiring :|

Another solution would be for the engineer to drill holes and run the cable outside the house and into the upstairs room. I just got off the phone with BT and I was told that this is entirely down to the engineer (ie if they're competent enough I presume >_>).

Has anyone had an engineer do the above method?
  Print Thread

Jump to