General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 13:20:31
Print Post

BT won't allow business service - how to argue?

[link to this post]

Earlier this week, I finally got a nice shiny FTTC connection. The estimated speed according to BT was 10.7 Mb/s down, 1.0 Mb/s up. It is almost a mile to the cabinet, so I'd hoped for a bit more than that - perhaps 20Mb.

As it turned out, the line tested at 39Mb down, 6.78Mb up. After a day or two of sync at 38.8 it has resynced at about 35. That's fine by me.

The problem is that I am only getting 1.5Mb/sec uplink. My ISP, ICUK, have been unable to get BT to switch it to a business connection with 10Mb/s uplink limit. That's what I asked for when I ordered it!

The line is a residential one, in my name, but the FTTC is a business one in the company's name. I can't see why I can't be allowed to use the uplink capacity of the line.

Any suggestions on how to get BT to allow the account to be a business one?
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Fri 16-Mar-12 13:38:26
Print Post

Re: BT won't allow business service - how to argue?

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Hoopla
The residential / business designation is on the line not the BB. So A residential LINE cannot have business FTTC. If you pay for a business line you can have business FTTC.

The extra line cost pays for the shorter Business response times on the line.

BT Openreach will say that you are trying to get Business service whilst only paying for a residential service.

If you want the business service you will have to pay for it. Should be easy enough to do.
Standard User R0NSKI
(learned) Fri 16-Mar-12 13:45:30
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your ISP that's confused (along with the complication that kitcat mentions above), 40/10 is available on business accounts - a quick google reveals that.

When I asked my ISP (Plusnet) why they didn't have a 40/10 retail product I got all sorts of stupid answers - even when some of their own customers had 40/10 (the lucky ones who got on the initial trial).

It turned out to be the billing system for charging for the 40/10 product had not been tested, although I find it hard to believe that it's that difficult to add a new product line to their billing system. They still don't seem to have made the 10meg upload an option yet, apparently it's going to cost £2 a month more than the 40/2 product.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 16-Mar-12 13:47:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Mar-12 13:59:16
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

What restriction on GEA FTTC 40/10 being only available to business accounts is there?

Now some providers may only offer it as part of their business range, but at the Openreach level there is no such restriction at all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Mar-12 14:12:15
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Something we've seen is that if you order a 10Mb upload service for a line that BT claims isn't suitable, they'll reject it.

Regardless of if the line is residential or business has no bearing on the ADSL or FTTC service that is put on top of it.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 16-Mar-12 14:33:15
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Hoopla
The residential / business designation is on the line not the BB. So A residential LINE cannot have business FTTC. If you pay for a business line you can have business FTTC.

The extra line cost pays for the shorter Business response times on the line.

BT Openreach will say that you are trying to get Business service whilst only paying for a residential service.

If you want the business service you will have to pay for it. Should be easy enough to do.

Total RUBBISH.

I have a residential line with a residential call package. Over that same line I have a BUSINESS FTTC connection all supplied by BT.

Don't try to make up BTs policy for them - there is nothing to stop a business FTTC connection being supplied over a residential line - and I know of many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DLS
(regular) Fri 16-Mar-12 14:36:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Total RUBBISH.

I have a residential line with a residential call package. Over that same line I have a BUSINESS FTTC connection all supplied by BT.

+1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 14:48:58
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Something we've seen is that if you order a 10Mb upload service for a line that BT claims isn't suitable, they'll reject it.

Regardless of if the line is residential or business has no bearing on the ADSL or FTTC service that is put on top of it.
As in the upstream estimate, which in BT's eye's seems to be sacrosanct.

Odd that he was able to order the 40Mbps downstream in that case though? Or is the estimate limit for that 10Mbps these days, rather than the original 15Mbps?

Or is the 5Mbps product speed-uncapped anyway and that is what he could be on?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 15:07:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What restriction on GEA FTTC 40/10 being only available to business accounts is there?

Now some providers may only offer it as part of their business range, but at the Openreach level there is no such restriction at all.

The provider calls the 10Mb up "business" but the problem is with BT refusing to allow 10Mb up on this line. I guess that it is because their estimate of the uplink speed was only 1Mb/sec. But seeing as the line supports nearly 7Mb up, that is nonsense.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 16-Mar-12 15:11:02
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:

That seems to be what is happening here. Admittedly, the line won't manage 10Mb up, but it will do several times better than 2Mb.

Wouldn't it be good if there was a decent provider offering competition to BT?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to