General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 18-Mar-12 12:43:49
Print Post

FTTC from another DSLAM

[link to this post]

Hello all.

Just wondering whether anyone could indicate the possibility of getting an FTTC service routed from a DSLAM/PCP other than the one that you are currently connected to? Or even getting a service routed from a different DSLAM over to my PCP.

Reason I ask is the FTTC cabinets have been installed in my village but our PCP does not appear to have had a new FTTC enabled cab put next to it....one at a similar distance from that PCP, however, has had the new FTTC cab installed. I would guess they were unable to place the new DSLAM next to our current PCP due to space restraints

If not then I guess the only thing to do would be to make a big fuss to the council and try and see if they could force/ fund openreach to install a DSLAM for our PCP.

Thanks in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:56:00
Print Post

Re: FTTC from another DSLAM

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Postcode?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 18-Mar-12 13:18:39
Print Post

My postcode is CM22 6EL

From memory looking at the December 2011 PCP rollout document from openreach I'm connected to P11 on the stansted exchange (EASTD)....it was due for upgrade in phase 7b, but from looking at the cabinet it looks like it was missed out whilst p3, just down the road, has been upgraded.

2% of the postcode is supposedly connected to p19....but that seems erroneous to me as p19 is located about 2km away from here in stansted itself

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 17:04:22
Print Post

It could be an error, but strangely on the April sheet it shows P11 as 100%. I don't know how likely to be wrong a change like that would be, but it looks to me as though it could be correct in December.

Have you checked for any road works permissions and so on with the planning department? There could be all sorts of reasons for delay.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 18-Mar-12 17:11:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I will go and take a look at that now - thank you for that suggestion.

So essentially according to the April openreach update they have at least installed an FTTC cabinet for p11? It could well be they have located it elsewhere further away from the PCP as that particular PCP is at the end of someones drive (there would have been no more space to install another cab) but I have been unable to locate such a cab since openreach completed their work here last month.

Thank you again!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 17:16:29
Print Post

smile
You are reading "Deployed YES" incorrectly. It means Scheduled or complete, not Complete. The Phase gives the expected period, but that doesn't mean they all the ones in the same phase get done at the same time.

It looks as though Cab 11 has hit trouble somewhere. It often does show up in road works applications, even when planning permission for the cabinet itself isn't needed.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 18-Mar-12 17:28:21
Print Post

Excellent. Well I am struggling to find planned roadworks for this area (can't seem to find such a section under uttlesford district or Essex county councils) but I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can find out

I guess there is little chance of forwarding an FTTC service from a DSLAM near another PCP?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 17:46:01
Print Post

I guess there is little chance of forwarding an FTTC service from a DSLAM near another PCP?
I think the occasional FTTC cabinet does service more than one PCP, but that is the limit of "forwarding".

There is no way you could get FTTC from anywhere other than through the PCP your line is attached to. Just in case you don't know, here's how it works.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 18-Mar-12 18:48:18
Print Post

One PCP, one FTTC cabinet. They do not connect muliple PCP's to a single FTTC cabinet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 22:16:47
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I seem to remember confirmation here of one or two occurrences. Given the thousands going in, I agree it's extremely rare. There's no technical reason preventing it so far as I know.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Mar-12 23:06:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to