General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Mar-12 19:33:49
Print Post

FTTC Installation charge

[link to this post]

How much does BT charge to ISP's to migrate customers onto FTTC connection?

TIA

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:11:24
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation charge

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

£50+vat for FTTC to FTTC migration (silly really as it is just a software routing change like with ADSL, no engineer work involved at all). The ADSL equivalent migration fee is only £11.

I would hazard a guess it's done in a way to make people thinking of moving from "BT Retail" or "Plusnet" think again as most other providers will have to pass this charge on.

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Mon 19-Mar-12 22:12:12)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:33:20
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
(silly really as it is just a software routing change like with ADSL, no engineer work involved at all).

Unless you're moving from WBC FTTC to say TalkTalk FTTC ? Which I gather is a full cease and reprovide today?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:38:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

TalkTalk and Sky FTTC still has the phone line unbundled, i.e. running off the providers own hardware in the exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:51:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
£50+vat for FTTC to FTTC migration (silly really as it is just a software routing change like with ADSL, no engineer work involved at all). The ADSL equivalent migration fee is only £11.

I would hazard a guess it's done in a way to make people thinking of moving from "BT Retail" or "Plusnet" think again as most other providers will have to pass this charge on.

James

How much for a new fttc line installation?

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:58:21
Print Post

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

Openreach price lists are public

The price list

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Mar-12 23:35:47
Print Post

It's all a bit confusing, but your argument doesn't hold James smile.

I was quoted £25 to move from IDNet FTTC to Infinity, and £50 to move to Plusnet. BT wouldn't budge on that, Plusnet waived it after a lot of discussion and consulation at their ranch. Even though, as you say, it appears they would be charged it.

The Openreach charge is £50 anyway, which with Vat would be £60 to the customer if charged at cost.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 08:09:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT, for 99% of the time offer "Free Setup" in any case, so they usually waive these fees. They are charged the same from Openreach as we are (£50 for migrations, £80 for new activations (reducing to £60 as a special Openreach offer in May-July period) however because BT Retail and Plusnet are still part of the BT Group are they easily able to offset the charge that is levied from one arm of the group to another?

Either way we just charge at cost so FTTC migrations to us are £59.00 inc VAT, hopefully Openreach will reduce this to £11+vat soon in line with the ADSL migration price, as no extra work is involved with that.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Mar-12 08:11:32
Print Post

It does sound like something "we, the public" ought to be raising through OfCom. Maybe I'll have a go later.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 08:16:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think its been tried/raised many times however because they are "separate" companies now as OFCOM forced them to be, by offering Free setup and cheap pricing on their retail arm OFCOM just say this is their choice, its a commercial decision.

The point is how are they able to offer such low pricing when the wholesale price costs more than they are selling it for! Us small ISP's just can't compete even though we try our best.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to