General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spon
(member) Mon 19-Mar-12 19:49:47
Print Post

Finally got FTTC - which modem please?

[link to this post]

Hi,

After years of low speeds we finally received notification that FTTC is indeed active on our exchange and cabinets (Willowcroft Derby) and successfully placed the order today! We are predicted to get the full whack up and down so this will be quite a change for us (currently 1.5 megs).

Which router do you recommnend please? Preferably with gigabit capability and ideally not much more than £100 although we can push up a bit if needed.

After a bad experience with reduced speeds after an intolerant ADSL 2+ "upgrade" we reconfigured the house wiring so that the current router is right next to the NTE5 (?) faceplate and from there we use 500mbps LAN plugs to network to the office upstairs. We get 250mbps + from this arrangement so pretty good. Am I correct in thinking that the new router will go next to a modem supplied by BT and that these are then connected please? What cabling for that and does it come via BT or possibly with the new router please? Presumably our LAN plug arrangement is not affected?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want it spot on for when the BT guy arrives.

Thanks
Dave

up the down escalator..........
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Mar-12 20:05:22
Print Post

Re: Finally got FTTC - which modem please?

[re: spon] [link to this post]

Which provider have you ordered FTTC via, some supply a router.

The Openreach modem and the router can be up to 100m apart, i.e. the limit for an Ethernet cable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User spon
(member) Mon 19-Mar-12 20:34:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

We are with ADSL24 - pretty certain they don't provide one so we need to purchase.
Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:32:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by spon:
After a bad experience with reduced speeds after an intolerant ADSL 2+ "upgrade" we reconfigured the house wiring so that the current router is right next to the NTE5 (?) faceplate and from there we use 500mbps LAN plugs to network to the office upstairs. We get 250mbps + from this arrangement so pretty good. Am I correct in thinking that the new router will go next to a modem supplied by BT and that these are then connected please? What cabling for that and does it come via BT or possibly with the new router please? Presumably our LAN plug arrangement is not affected?

Your "Home Plug AV 500" will be fine - but the big question is if you need wireless or not on the router?

Something to check is the throughput of the router - assuming you will get 40mbps or faster FTTC, you don't want the router being too slow (ie, cheap and designed for ADSL2+) to slow you down.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User spon
(member) Mon 19-Mar-12 22:42:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi,

Yes we will need wireless.

Thanks
Dave

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Mar-12 23:26:57
Print Post

I got one of these in Feb 2011, as I thought it worth a punt at the price. If it was no good I could return it, if OK but not good enough keep it as a spare, or be perfectly happy.

I'm perfectly happy! As I believe are three or four here who got one on my recommendation.

There is a gigbit LAN version that two or three have bought. I didn't get the feeling they are over the moon about them - they run on some bought-in firmware with oddities from what I remember.

I was joining IDNet. I moved from them to Plusnet this Feb, to save money. Plusnet supply a "free" Netgear WNR1000 N150. That has one nice feature that the Buffalo doesn't - it records the traffic to and from the internet.

But it's wireless is nothing like as good as the Buffalo. 150kbps maximum and in fact I can only get 65kbps connection. Even that drops out fairly often if this laptop is in its usual place downstairs. Router is in the spare bedroom. The 65kbps doesn't really deliver that consistently in live use either, as a subjective view.

The Buffalo gives rock solid 150kbps using one channel, and InSSIDer reports it as being on 300kbps using 2 channels. My laptop only has a 150kbps card unfortunately, but I unfailingly get 150kbps connection speed.

Errmmmmmm!!!! I just realised there is a driver CD with the Buffalo that I needed to use to connect my old laptop at all. I didn't need it with the new one. I wonder if that will give me 300kbps? Will try during the next couple of days.

I intend to go back to the Buffalo anyway, for the better wireless. Plusnet usage meter shows slightly above what the Netgear reports, which is slightly above what the sum of my two Networx monitors, (on new and old laptops), show. I haven't quite sorted out the reasons, but the difference is small, so stuff the Netgear smile.

Oh, and if you go for the Buffalo, take the free delivery. Mine, (and some other stuff from Amazon sellers), came next day anyway!

(Edit - putting in the link helps tongue).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Mar-12 23:28:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 07:12:16
Print Post

Am I correct in thinking that the new router will go next to a modem supplied by BT and that these are then connected please? What cabling for that and does it come via BT or possibly with the new router please?

It'll be fine. The engineer will fit a faceplate filter on your existing NTE, or possibly even leave an existing one in place. The modem comes with a short (1.5m) RJ11 lead, ask the bod to wall mount the modem close to the NTE. Make sure you have two spare power supplies, one for modem, and one for your new router.

Happy days, for the engineer.

Ask ADSL24 to ensure they haven't requested 'HWS' on the order, as you will not require it, and don't wan't to be charged extra by mistake.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Mar-12 07:38:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I think "power supplies" might confuse people, as most here will take you to mean PSUs. "Mains sockets" would be clearer, and in case the OP has only one I say to him a multi-socket mains extension lead is fine.

Also the new router will have a 1m or 2m ethernet cable to connect to the modem. Your connections from the router are then as you have now. The technical difference is that an ADSLx router contains a modem, and in this setup the modem is stand-alone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 07:41:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think "power supplies" might confuse people

Yes, sorry Bob. By 'power supplies', I did of course mean, 'power supplies' ! tongue

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Mar-12 07:43:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Newton figs at dawn! cool

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to