General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 22:11:44
Print Post

Rutland newly announced fibre broadband rollout

[link to this post]

Hello,

So Rutland CC have announced that BT, starting from October 2012, will be rolling out fibre-optic broadband to many across the county, As far as I know they want 90% of customers receiving 25mbit and above and 10% between 2mbit-24mbit.

My question is how are they going to rollout fibre broadband with the lack of BT cabinets around? I've only seen a handful of them and from what I understand you need a normal BT cabinet to connect the new fibre cabinet to it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g...

In that link above, there is a cabinet infront of the telephone exchange and I was wondering if that's likely to be related to anything BT?

I need to also check with BT, but since I live literally 70m as the crow flys from the exchange and my line length according to kitz calculator is 400m. So I'm thinking that I'm probably connected directly to the exchange which will mean I won't be getting fibre any time soon.

Is it likely they'll be putting in new cabinets alongside the new fibre ones? I know BT have £3million+ to spend on the project for the entire county, so I'm not entirely sure what that buys you - could it even mean fibre to the pole?

Any help/information you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Mar-12 22:19:08
Print Post

Re: Rutland newly announced fibre broadband rollout

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

£3m plus what BT puts into the pot

How many properties need to be covered? And you can get an idea £100-£200 means FTTC, if they get lose to £1000 per property than FTTP is probable

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 22:38:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is information I've got through Samknows, but the CC is probably a better bet to try and find out from. Below is a list of exchanges within Rutland and the amount of residential/non-residential premises it serves:

Oakham
6,018 residential
384 non-residential

Cottesmore
1,413 residential
49 non-residential

Thisleton
924 residential
46 non-residential

Uppingham
2,339 residential
133 non-residential

Empingham
438 residential
29 non-residential

North Luffenham
1,731 residential

Manton
448 residential
23 non-residential

Morcott
565 residential
25 non-residential

Belton
267 residential
20 non-residential

Whissendine
561 residential
23 non-residential

14,704 residential approx
732 non-residential

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sun 25-Mar-12 22:44:53
Print Post

Thats not a BT cabinet in your google link. Dont know what it is.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Mar-12 22:53:03
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Not a BT cabinet but behind it is the exchange...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Mar-12 02:03:31
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

If that one in the photo isn't a BT cabinet, then I've only managed to find 2 or 3 in the entire town. I've just gone around google maps in my town where I used to live in the south-east, which wasn't that big to be fair, and I've count 11 bt cabinets within a square mile.

What I don't understand is, if you only have a few old telephone cabinets in the first place, how do you deliver FTTC? Would they disconnect people from the exchange directly and then connect them to a telephone cabinet box? I don't know whether if your line is x number of meters long or you live x number of meters away from the exchange, it means you don't go via a cabinet, but get sent directly to the exchange.

From looking around the town itself in Rutland, most of the cables go to a telephone post and then disappear underground. And from what I understand from a previous poster, the calculations would show that it's going to be FTTC and not FTTP as that would total up with the spend per household.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 14:00:41
Print Post

Unless Rutland CC agrees with BT to change some of the cable routing then its unlikely that BT will move Exchange only lines to cabinets, its all about how many money is avalible to do the job.

Will have to see what BT announce for the area as it should appear in a spreadsheet this year.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Mar-12 15:37:36
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Yeah, there are cabinets around that they will be able to probably FTTC fairly easily, but with the EO lines, it's bad news. Apparently BT are trying to develop a solution for this, as currently it causes crosstalk/interference if they stick VDSL tech with EO lines.

There's enough space outside the front of the exchange and apparently BT have done that in other occasions in different parts of the UK, so local residents connected to the exchange can take advantage of FTTC. I still don't know what that box is there currently. I went to see it today and it's not got any markings or labels on it from what I can see.

The council gave me an answer as though even with EO, i'd still get increased speeds which I don't believe at all. I currently get around 20mb through ADSL2+, but having been used to a 120mbit VM connection near uni, it is a bit slow in comparison.

Rutland CC haven't got any detailed plans/survey yet and I've got visions of them having all this money and then managing to screw up the roll out.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:58:32
Print Post

I have not seen BT install any cabs outside of exchanges for EO lines yet, do you have any proof of this.

The only news that is known about what BT intends to do with EO lines, is they are developing a solution in Cornwall which has not yet been announced, OR is not allowed to use VDSL tech inside of a exchange by ofcom due to the interference.

Council likely gave you a very generic answer that they have been told to provide, unless you speak to the department or lead of the program.

All CC will have maps/information etc from BT which is used to create their local broadband plans, the actual rollout plan will be decided by BT and the CC to get the most for the funding or just let BT lead.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Mar-12 22:50:49
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

VDSL on EO is a solvable problem. Putting cabs in front of exchanges isn't a solution as the lines are only moved a little bit, it still doesn't solve crosstalk between VDSL and ADSL but that can be addressed by selection of frequency bands.

From memory the VDSL upstream is compromised by the proximity of the ADSL2+ downstream, but I may be wrong on that.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to