General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User karslakep
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 19:48:29
Print Post

Plusnet reason for not supplying FTTC for my house.

[link to this post]

I have a problem with Plusnet.

I signed up for the fibre service. however, since my phone line has been changed they have said that i can't get FTTC. This is the reason they gave me.

It is not that you are too far away from the exchange to have FTTC, it is that you are too far from the exchange for Plusnet to provide the FTTC. Because you are geographically far from the exchange as in relation to where the Fibre Optic cables run from the exchange before arriving at your address, If Plusnet did give you a Fibre Service this would not increase the speed of the Broadband as still would only be able to give you a ADSL speed. We do apologise for this and we would love to offer you more speed but it is simply not possible for Plusnet to offer you this.

We do have a ethical responsibility to you as if we offer a more expensive service to get you more speed like the Fibre service but the physical connection will still only give you a ADSL Speed then why should Plusnet charge you extra for a service that we can not deliver. Therefore the only options we can give you is the ADSL Broadband which is currently due to be given to you as of 27/03/12.

This is totally in opposite view to the reason whey FTTC was undertaken by BT, as the FTTC was to provide fibre to the local cabinet, so to reduce the length of line from the BT exchange, thus reducing my line length from 2000m to say 100m where the 100m is the length from the cabinet to my house. Has anyone else had this from Plusnet or another provider.

Is there any way of finding my local cabinet and finding out if my line is capable of FTTC?
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 19:51:16
Print Post

Re: Plusnet reason for not supplying FTTC for my house.

[re: karslakep] [link to this post]

What does the BT Wholesale checker say?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Maybe you are not connected to the cabinet you say is 100m away?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ripley (Mon 26-Mar-12 19:52:01)

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 19:59:55
Print Post

the wording at the start is a bit odd, stating that you may be too far from the exchange. Its the distance from the cab that makes the difference with FTTC

In regard to what they say about not providing the service if there will be no improvement from ADSL than that makes perfect sense and it would not be logical to order fibre.

DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User karslakep
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:17:19
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Ripley, thanks for your reply.

I have received this from the website you stated.

Thanks

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 4Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 4.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 23.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.6Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you have already placed an order for Broadband and now wish to change to a new supplier, then you will need to cancel the existing order with your service provider or your new request will be rejected. If you do not know who the current Service Provider is, please contact your new Service Provider, who would be able to help you to resolve this issue.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:21:24
Print Post

Looks like Plusnet have lost the plot.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User karslakep
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:35:29
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

My address is in Bury in which BT pulled the fibre optic cable up the main road, of which my road connects too, there is a new cabinet on the next street down from me, what i am not sure of is whether my phone line is terminated in this cabinet. The FTTC is supposed to reduce the line from 2km (2000m), to reduce the line attenuation from my current value of 52dB. As it is this long length which causes the attenuation, putting fibre to the cabinet reduces the line length and the potential noise, such that a high speed connection can be established.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:36:50
Print Post

what's your postcode?

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G
Standard User karslakep
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:40:34
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

BL8 1TZ
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:41:41
Print Post

try putting your postcode into this...

http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid...

click options then filter by 'equal to ignoring case' - type your postcode without spaces

That will tell you what cabinet you are connected to.

You must be a long way from the cab but it seems the speeds would still be far better than you would get on ADSL2+

DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ripley (Mon 26-Mar-12 20:43:12)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:47:31
Print Post

You're on Cab 45. This cab serves all lines covering the following post codes:

BL81UD
BL81SR
BL81TJ
BL81UF
BL81TY
BL81WN
BL81SE
BL81QN
BL81SJ
BL81TQ
BL81TH
BL81TZ
BL81TF
BL81SH
BL81TL
BL81UB
BL81TU
BL81ST
BL81TX
BL81SZ
BL81SQ
BL81TE
BL81TT
BL81TB
BL83HE

Plotting these on a map gives the result below.

http://batchgeo.com/map/68211acb6e80715b57bdb5172a36...

You mentioned a cab nearby, is it on this main road? if so the data suggests this is cab 45. It may have markings on it indicating its cab number. You can use google streetview or have a wander down this road to find the cab.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to