General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Archetype486
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 10:56:14
Print Post

Cabinet Question on new Housing Estate

[link to this post]

My exchange is due to be upgraded by end of March (ESBAT). My postcode is EH48 2GQ

I moved house in December to a new large housing estate and when I check my postcode in the leaked July spreadsheet, my new postcode wasn't listed. On the December spreadsheet it listed this (ESBAT BATHGATE EH482GQ {ESBAT}{P39} 0 100% 3.62 7a Yes FTTC) I thought great.

All the checkers says I can't receive FTTC and nether can my neighbours on the same postcode/streets next to me. What I can think of is that there is a new cabinet that is not listed on the spreadsheet and is much much closer to the new phase of the estate.
This is PCP39 http://g.co/maps/aj2qj
This is PCP47 http://g.co/maps/yb9xy
This is PCP15 http://g.co/maps/phquu
This is a map showing my house, new development, the PCP's and exchange http://g.co/maps/6x59a

What I can guess is that originally I was due to be connected to PCP39 but since then they have installed PCP47 and I have been connected to that one and PCP47 is not due to get upgraded.

Do BT review this regularly or will I have to get the estate to registrar their interest?
I know its all about economics etc but it seems strange to miss out the cabinet when there is lots of new houses getting built
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 11:26:38
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Question on new Housing Estate

[re: Archetype486] [link to this post]

Have you tried your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker? Postcode alone is useless at this level.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:11:39
Print Post

Unless someone tells BT that new houses are being built, before a request for phone lines goes in, then they often don't know about it.

So a lot depends on what developers have told BT

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:24:46
Print Post

it seems strange to miss out the cabinet when there is lots of new houses getting built

Equally it seems strange to build lots of houses without installing modern connectivity from the outset.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Archetype486
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:46:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have you tried your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker? Postcode alone is useless at this level.

Yeah, telephone number says not available.
If I input my parents and in-laws it says it will be available from 30 March.
A drive around town and it shows lots of new cabinets (ECI 128).
I guess until a new spreadsheet is leaked or if someone has access to it when it becomes available, I won't know what my postcode says.

I understand that it would be down to the developers as well as BT, is there been previous instances that other cabinets have been upgraded after the initial upgrade?

Thanks for the responses so far!!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 13:00:39
Print Post

I understand that it would be down to the developers as well as BT, is there been previous instances that other cabinets have been upgraded after the initial upgrade?

I've heard of cases where BT aren't putting FTTC in because the roads aren't adopted hence are not public highways where code powers apply. In those cases the developers have to agree.

Usually developers work with Openreach and put in (free issue ?) ducting etc to BT standards to facilitate subsequent delivery of USO telephone service.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Wed 28-Mar-12 14:56:58
Print Post

The issue with new build eastates is that they are unlikely finished before the plans for a area are made, so the new cab will not be included in the inital rollout and will likely be included at a later date i have seen this happen on local new build estates.

Also since their is no other service then BT, the cab can be pushed down the list of those needing to be done.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User partial
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 21:43:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Usually developers work with Openreach and put in (free issue ?) ducting etc to BT standards to facilitate subsequent delivery of USO telephone service.

The developer will get stores and paid ~ £120 per plot for houses and ~£50 per flat to build onsite duct and boxes. The ~ is down to whatever the current agreement with the House Builders Federation is.

Offsite 'network reinforcement' is built and paid for by Openreach up to ~ £3400 per plot afterwhich the developer has to stump up.

Recently some OLOs have seen a competitive advantage in doing deals with the developer installing their kit and not deploying Openreach plant whatsoever.

Edited by partial (Wed 28-Mar-12 21:49:33)

Standard User thosking
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 21:55:35
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Hi,

I live in a ~5 yr old estate which is now run by a resident owned management company.

Our cabinet is currently off the December PCP to postcode spreadsheet, and I strongly suspect it is because our run is not adopted.

Can anybody explain how I should engage with Openreach and ask then to do what they need to do?

I don't expect the Management Company will have any issue with the work being carried out.

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:32:05
Print Post

[re: thosking] [link to this post]

Can anybody explain how I should engage with Openreach and ask then to do what they need to do?

A starting point would be to get your neighbours to register interest with Openreach.

Your local council highways department will tell you if the road is adopted, if that's unclear. If it isn't adopted you could get in writing from the management committee their stance on having a FTTC cabinet erected and power trenched in plus other streetworks as necessary.

To actually engage with Openreach I would start with Twitter smile but someone may have a better idea.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to