General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jrrhoofnest
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 15:13:07
Print Post

ADSL Move To FTTC

[link to this post]

Getting FTTC on Monday. Currently on up to 8Mbps with Zen. I synch at 8064/448 Kbps since the ?17c change last October. Trouble is, it's less than stable and will often lose synch at odd times during the day (and night.) SNR drops below 6 then that's it. Also lots of errors. Interleaving is on at a depth of 32.

I've done all the usual things (test socket etc etc.) It's a dedicated line used solely for broadband - no phone attached. I think this may be caused by electrical interference caused by overhead street light cables passing about ten feet from the copper line from the phone pole. I can hear this using an AM radio.

Will this lack of stability get worse with FTTC? I say this on the basis of more speed equals less stability (as a general rule.) I'm aware problems between the exchange and cabinet will be more-or-less eradicated with FTTC but if the problem is what I describe above, I fear I might get an unusable line.

Thoughts?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:06:41
Print Post

Re: ADSL Move To FTTC

[re: jrrhoofnest] [link to this post]

The VDSL does not use a good chunk of the old phone, so may well prove to be more stable, it is a suck it and see game.

VDSL is well above AM levels so may avoid the existing interference

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:25:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, Andrew, that's reassuring. I'll see what happens, I guess.

If I never post again after Monday you'll know I've died of DLM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 17:35:02
Print Post

I was on a long line, which I am convinced took in a couple of fences or something, but was a little unstable. Now 500m from the cab and much more stable, so maybe the "fault" was in the bit of the phone line that the BB no longer uses.

My rate does seem to vary a fair bit having said that, but the connection now normally holds for at least 5 days and has managed up to 19. So I think any variations may be dur to congestion on Enta's Newcastle Hub.
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 18:28:58
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, Philip. I'm hoping the faults on the Exchange side are greater than the faults on the copper line between the cabinet and my home. We'll see, I suppose.

Biggest fear is that the line is so unstable during first couple of days that DLM cripples the line for a long time, despite the claims that it adjusts up as well as down. Not my experience in the past.

This would be a pity, as I'm only sixty yards from the cabinet.

That being said, I'm not unduly concerned about a slightly lowered speed, as long as it's not falling over every two minutes, as I run a (small) home business.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:05:25
Print Post

The DLM is a different one to the one used for ADSL2+ and ADSL, different people running it too.

The FTTC one is nowhere near as harsh as the old BT Wholesale one

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:20:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good to hear, Andrew.

Thanks for your help.
  Print Thread

Jump to