General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:01:46
Print Post

FTTC at 2.2KM

[link to this post]

Just wondering if anyone has seen any stats from a long FTTC line or have a rough figure of what FTTC speed should be on a line this long from the cab? Thanks

Andy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:09:36
Print Post

Re: FTTC at 2.2KM

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

Possibly 10 Mbps to 13 Mbps

Not many lines to base that on though

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:15:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My dad got BT Infinity Option 1 installed yesterday and was estimated around 13Mb on dsl checker until changing to 30Mb with the recent changes! I knew there was no chance of receiving 30. He was on a 9KM line syncing at around 1.6Mb which seemed very impressive =). Engineer came and installed and it only synced at 6.8Mb. He went and made a few calls and came back and said we could revert back to ADSL or keep the new FTTC service at this speed. We decided to keep it of course as it's better than it was and the ping is much nicer now. How much would a change to the 30MHz profile in the future help?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:25:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by swervinc:
Just wondering if anyone has seen any stats from a long FTTC line or have a rough figure of what FTTC speed should be on a line this long from the cab? Thanks

Andy

The longest connection that I have any detailed stats for is approximately 1600m from the cabinet & around 7km in total from the exchange.

Sync speed is only around 18Mb, with bit-loading only at ADSL frequencies (attenuation is simply too high to achieve anything from the higher frequency bands), but obviously it is still a lot better than a 7km ADSL connection.

1600m line length Snapshot stats

4 Day Ongoing Stats

For another connection, also around 1600m from the cabinet, sync speed is just over 16Mb.

Both connections appear incredibly stable, with lowish error counts (ignore the big spikes at the start of the error graphs. They are just there as errors had accumalated over a long period prior to the start of the monitoring scripts).
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:33:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by swervinc:
How much would a change to the 30MHz profile in the future help?

It very much depends on distance from the cabinet.

If "too far" from the cabinet (not the exchange), there would be no speed increase as attenuation would be too high for the 30MHz frequencies.

It appears that nothing is being achieved from the 17MHz frequencies either.

Do you know how far it is to the cabinet?
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:35:17
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Yes. It's roughly 2.2KM from engineer.
Standard User Justo
(member) Fri 30-Mar-12 11:51:42
Print Post

See this;

http://www.suomicom.fi/VDLS2_vs_ADSL2_vertailua.pdf

30a won't help much on anything other than short lines, in fact it could be worse than 17a on longer lines.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 12:06:49
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick feedback. At least I now know there isn't anything making the line under perform and it should provide a faster more stable connection than before. Looks like FTTP is the only answer for superfast broadband on some lines though.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 30-Mar-12 15:00:38
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
The longest connection that I have any detailed stats for is approximately 1600m from the cabinet & around 7km in total from the exchange.

Sync speed is only around 18Mb...

My line is just over a mile to the cabinet. Initially it synced at 39Mb, but over a few weeks it has dropped back to 32Mb. Better than I'd expected!
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 30-Mar-12 19:46:32
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
My line is just over a mile to the cabinet. Initially it synced at 39Mb, but over a few weeks it has dropped back to 32Mb. Better than I'd expected!
I'd say that is pretty amazing for that distance!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to