General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 14:36:25
Print Post

Fritz!Box 7390 - Working as a FTTC Router

[link to this post]

I am due to get FTTC from and independent ISP in 2 weeks time. I have seen the forum about using the FB7390 as a VDSL modem but am I right in thinking that the OR will want to check the installation using OR-provided modem coupled to a router etc? If this is the case, I would be grateful if someone could post or direct me to somewhere where I can check the correct router GUI settings. I assume that modem is connected to LAN 1 and ISP to 'Existing Connection over LAN? Is Connected Via 'cable modem' or 'external modem'? I am using Beta firmware version - 21821. Many thanks.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 30-Mar-12 14:57:38
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7390 - Working as a FTTC Router

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

There should be no problem, but my experience is that you cannot set the 7390 up to work in one mode then change the internet / account settings to work in a different mode, such as to connect through the BT-provided modem: it simply doesn't work. What you have to do is go through the wizard to set it all up from scratch.

I didn't realise this, and set everything up, phones, VOIP, voicemail etc and tested it using my existing ADSL setup, not using it to create the connection (it is a rubbish ADSL2 modem). Then when the FTTC was in place I tried to get the 7390 to connect through the FTTC modem, it just didn't work - PPPoE timeouts.

Started again from scratch, with a factory reset and using the wizard and set it up to connect using my FTTC username and password through the BT FTTC modem and it worked straight away.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Mar-12 14:58:53
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Has anyone tried using the 7390 on an old 20CN connection?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 15:10:02
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
There should be no problem, but my experience is that you cannot set the 7390 up to work in one mode then change the internet / account settings to work in a different mode, such as to connect through the BT-provided modem: it simply doesn't work. What you have to do is go through the wizard to set it all up from scratch.

I didn't realise this, and set everything up, phones, VOIP, voicemail etc and tested it using my existing ADSL setup, not using it to create the connection (it is a rubbish ADSL2 modem). Then when the FTTC was in place I tried to get the 7390 to connect through the FTTC modem, it just didn't work - PPPoE timeouts.

Started again from scratch, with a factory reset and using the wizard and set it up to connect using my FTTC username and password through the BT FTTC modem and it worked straight away.

Thank you. I disagree about it being a poor ADSL2+ router. Experience and advice led me to conclude that the issue is low target SNR within the firmware. Initially, I was getting frequent disconnects with a target SNR of c.3. Advice from one who knows about this box was simple. Move the Intended SNR slider to halfway which should give you a target SNR of 4/5 and bingo. Connection reduced from 17 down to 16.4 and the box hasn't missed a heartbeat since. The latest beta firmware has a revised ADSL engine and my error rate is very small. I would recommend this box to anyone on an ADSL2+ connection.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Fri 30-Mar-12 19:50:06
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
Thank you. I disagree about it being a poor ADSL2+ router. Experience and advice led me to conclude that the issue is low target SNR within the firmware.

On my ADSL2 connection, the Draytek Vigor 2820 manages to synch at a tad under 4Mb but the 7390 couldn't manage 1Mb I have no idea why it was so useless. I tried all manner of settings before deciding that it was pointless - no intention of using it there anyway!
  Print Thread

Jump to