General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Mar-12 19:20:52
Print Post

What does is term "uplift" representitive of ?

[link to this post]

Just looking for some info on the terms used in the FTTC spread sheets, My post code is listed gives cab number (presumably relating to the new one once installed ?) then percentage of lines which for my postcode is saying 97% the phase is 8a which is date related so could be July /August the one thing that i'm not too clear on is what the UPLIFT value is supposed to represent, is it sync speed ? if so mine gives "uplift 3.68" if this is sync speed then how is this calculated ? is it based on what unreliable information that the BTwholesale dsl checker database holds against my line or some other more accurate method such as the lenght of the D'side pair ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Mar-12 19:28:07
Print Post

Re: What does is term "uplift" representitive of ?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It means if you get 9Meg now, they expect you to get 3.68 x 9 from FTTC

The estimates for FTTC are usually under estimates, while ADSL2+ were often over estimates

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-12 21:18:28
Print Post

The cabinet number is your existing PCP, (phone cabinet). An FTTC cabinet will be installed within 50 metres of it and the two connected. More info here. The existing cabinet will have that number on it, so you should be able to find it.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Mar-12 21:53:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

So from this analogy as I get around 3 Mbps on ADSL I can expect to get 10 - 12 Mbps on fibre ?

I would be happy on this speed as it's a lot better than I'm getting at present !

I suppose that the important factor is how close or far you live from the cabinet that you are connected to !?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Mar-12 22:03:50
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CurlyWhirly:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

So from this analogy as I get around 3 Mbps on ADSL I can expect to get 10 - 12 Mbps on fibre ?

I would be happy on this speed as it's a lot better than I'm getting at present !

I suppose that the important factor is how close or far you live from the cabinet that you are connected to !?
The value of the multiplier will differ some i have seen with figures of 17.8 so that would be 17.8 times more than what they can currently get from what i have seen looking at the FTTC spread sheets it would suggest that the lower the speed via DSL the higher the value the multiplier will show ,(as a general rule of thumb) i currently get between 16-19mbit so i would see speeds of around 70 mb, or more even perhaps , My line to the PCP is around 600mtrs (calculated using Google maps) So won't be that accurate either way
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Mar-12 22:30:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
from what i have seen looking at the FTTC spread sheets it would suggest that the lower the speed via DSL the higher the value the multiplier will show ,(as a general rule of thumb)

That's good news for people like me then !
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 30-Mar-12 22:50:20
Print Post

When you are able to post again, you might like to respond to this post from MrSaffron.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Fri 30-Mar-12 22:56:38)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 09:12:10
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

If the figure for your uplist is 3.98, the figure varies from postcode to postcode, due to the varying distances from exchange (existing speeds) and distance from cabinet (the VDSL2 speeds)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to