General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bootlaces
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 06:26:01
Print Post

Confused about Availability for a Flat.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in an area where my exchange has been enabled for FFTC (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSPUT).

I live in a converted house that has 3 apartments (each with their own line). The house itself is approximately 300 meters from the exchange.

When I do a check against the house number it informs me that FFTC is available and I can order BT Infinity. However, whenever I check with BT against my *flat* number at the same house number, BT inform me that FFTC is *not* available!

How can this be? I would really like to get FFTC, yet I'm really confused as to why the house I live in can apparently get FFTC, yet the flat I am in, within the house, cannot get FFTC!

BT sales have been quite unhelpful in sorting it out for me - they don't have a clue to really answer my question. I'm hoping someone here would have some insight into my confusion.

Thanks!

bootlaces.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 09:19:04
Print Post

Re: Confused about Availability for a Flat.

[re: bootlaces] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bootlaces:
Hi,

I live in an area where my exchange has been enabled for FFTC (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSPUT).

I live in a converted house that has 3 apartments (each with their own line). The house itself is approximately 300 meters from the exchange.

When I do a check against the house number it informs me that FFTC is available and I can order BT Infinity. However, whenever I check with BT against my *flat* number at the same house number, BT inform me that FFTC is *not* available!

How can this be? I would really like to get FFTC, yet I'm really confused as to why the house I live in can apparently get FFTC, yet the flat I am in, within the house, cannot get FFTC!

BT sales have been quite unhelpful in sorting it out for me - they don't have a clue to really answer my question. I'm hoping someone here would have some insight into my confusion.

Thanks!

bootlaces.

FFTC ???? Fibre from the cabinet ? Have never come across it. Or do you mean FTTC?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 09:21:53
Print Post

[re: bootlaces] [link to this post]

By exchange do you mean the green cabinet in the street?

How recent was the flat converted? Does the Post Office know all about it? If no, then that is the explanation as in the address is not understand by the Openreach system, which uses the Post Office databases.

Anyway, best method to check is an active telephone number. I presume BT sales are saying you cannot order too? One route would be to get the telephone installed if one is not already installed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 31-Mar-12 16:06:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Sorry for mistyping the acronym.

I'm currently with Virgin National Broadband, so my line is supplied by them. I guess in order to check properly would be to switch to BT, then see if I can get BT Infinity. Would that be the right course of action? I assume there is no way for BT to check a Virgin supplied line if FTTC works to my flat.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 16:14:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You should be OK, but is either of the other two apartments on a "BT" line? If so, you could check for their number.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User bootlaces
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 16:53:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh,

That's a good idea. I will ask the tenants below if they have BT and if I can check with their number. If they don't have BT then I guess I need a BT line then to really test if I can get Infinity.

Thanks RobertS!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 22:34:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

if you have Virgin national broadband ie ADSL then it's coming over a BT line even if said line is rented via Virgin, so the number checkers should work for you.

Does www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome recognise your number?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 23:48:20
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Missed that! Yep, you're right.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to