General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:08:42
Print Post

pppoe - vlan

[link to this post]

Hi can some one explain what the difference between VLAN and PPPoE is with FTTC

My new ISP littlebigone (fitted in next few weeks) uses VLANs instead of PPPoE which i understand most FTTC providers use,

So what's the diff and are there any ad/disadvantages to this

Thanks
Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:21:02
Print Post

Re: pppoe - vlan

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I think this is Digital Region in South Yorks (gosh, a customer !!).

It's worth saying that BT Openreach use VLANs too, for example one VLAN could provide voice or multicast and the other internet data. PPPoE is then used as the authentication method to establish a connection over the VLAN.

PPPoE provides some user authentication capability whereas a pure VLAN will be pre-configured and just move the data to where the switches send it based on the VLAN tags on the packets / frames.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:31:59
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I think this is Digital Region in South Yorks (gosh, a customer !!).

It's worth saying that BT Openreach use VLANs too, for example one VLAN could provide voice or multicast and the other internet data. PPPoE is then used as the authentication method to establish a connection over the VLAN.

PPPoE provides some user authentication capability whereas a pure VLAN will be pre-configured and just move the data to where the switches send it based on the VLAN tags on the packets / frames.

Yes its DRN lol ive waited for 1.2 year for BT to activate the cab that's been sat there powered on doing noting aint waiting no more see as they just changed date again so decided to take the plunge and get a DRN connection lol .

Thanks for the info i was mainly wondering because origin who are also on the DRN use PPPoE like open reach but LBO seam to just use only VLAN when i ordered i asked it my old netgear router would work and said it supports PPPoE so it should and they said we dont use PPPoE so it dont matter.

They supply one of these which turns out to be a hela lot better than my netgear anyway even if it is a bit ugly haha so im happy using there all in 1 router anyway saves a power socket i supose.

Are there any latency advantages at all to just using vlans or are they basically they same

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:36:04
Print Post

Are there any latency advantages at all to just using vlans or are they basically they same

dunno. PPPoE is used by Openreach to signal synch speeds and such like as well as authenticate to the ISP. I suppose that PPP is a few bytes of overhead per packet so there will be a marginal effect.

The all-in-one VDSL modem/router is a neater approach than separates.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:42:13
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Ye i agree its going to save me a fair few bob on electric too because it supports HDD/Printer sharing natively threw the USB ports so i will no longer have to leave my main desktop on just to share the printer and shared hard drive lol,
The built in 3G sharing may also come in handy if there's any downtime too.
Im also having my fingers crossed that the voip ports are customisable and usable with sip but if not we cant have everything i suppose lol

Also looking forward to their IPTV launching next month and im hoping it isnt just free view with on demand lol when i rung up they said its 100% IPTV no Arial needed so ive got fingers crossed there going to be some premium channels they don't seam to have much info on channels till next week though frown

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 31-Mar-12 15:44:42)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:47:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Im also having my fingers crossed that the voip ports are customisable and usable with sip but if not we cant have everything i suppose lol

Ash

This quote from LBO on the Sheffield forums about voip may help.
Post #265 Finally Digital Region is available in my area.
"With regards to VoIP, whilst our telephone services are VoIP by technology, they are in essencce replacement landline services. As part of this replacement service we register telephone numbers for 999 services, and in doing this we are required to know where the telephone is located. This is why we are not able to provide login details to our customers for use on mobile or portable devices, as this would breach this requirement"
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:33:11
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TraceT:

Ash

"With regards to VoIP, whilst our telephone services are VoIP by technology, they are in essencce replacement landline services. As part of this replacement service we register telephone numbers for 999 services, and in doing this we are required to know where the telephone is located. This is why we are not able to provide login details to our customers for use on mobile or portable devices, as this would breach this requirement"

Yup ive seen that before i haven't took their phone service though which that relates to, ive left it with post office but the router its self has built in voip ports to plug a phone in i was just saying i hope little big one haven't put custom firmware on the router because if they haven't then i should be able to config the voip ports with my own voip provider

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 19:54:57
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Ash

Yup ive seen that before i haven't took their phone service though which that relates to, ive left it with post office but the router its self has built in voip ports to plug a phone in i was just saying i hope little big one haven't put custom firmware on the router because if they haven't then i should be able to config the voip ports with my own voip provider

Ash

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 19:55:48)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:10:53
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Ash

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Ahh little disappointed then they've basically done what virgin media always do to their routers and turned a super router into bog standard one lol defo a shame because that router natively allows you to have 4 different SSIDs with different rules (which i use with my current router i have a main SSID and a guest SSID with diff rules)

have they blocked the router stats out or can you see them and have you tried the USB ports for the storage/printer/3g sharing my guess is they've most likely locked that out too if wifis locked crazy

Ash

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:13:30
Print Post

When you say can't change the password, are you talking admin access to the router, or the wireless password?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to