General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nickjett
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 18:32:14
Print Post

BT Infinity?

[link to this post]

Its really annoying having to be on the bt package i am on, i really dont think the £40 is worth it. To have unlimited internet and calls, when i can have it £15 cheaper if i could get Infinity.

When we first moved in to this house we thought we could get Virgin, the website said we could. It wasnt till the guy came to install it we found that there is no copper wire or something! We then found out that the houses at the end of the street where i live are newer than the rest meaning some of our street can get Virgin but we cannot.

Anyways im not sure if i have checked this right, but the nearest telephone exchange to us is this one, http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMHARDI

Our postcode is NN4 8AQ

I checked the http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and its apparantly due June 2012. Does this mean i will be able to get BT Infinity in June?

I just noticed that some men are installing a new darker green box next to a green box which is ten meter's away from my house. Could this be anything to do with bt Infinity?

It has a voltage sticker on it though!
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Apr-12 18:44:28
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity?

[re: nickjett] [link to this post]

What BT package are you actually on? I thought BT's ADSL products cost pretty much the same as their infinity ones so not sure where the price difference comes from.

I've checked the postcode you mention and the december BT file that is floating around says your cabinet is due to get fibre. The additional green cabinet you mention being installed would hold the new BT hardware required for fibre, and it would require power so the sticker is normal.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G
Standard User nickjett
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 18:53:25
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Broadband Option 3 and Anytime Calls, costs me £44.00 in total

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nickjett
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 18:59:12
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Thank you! Does this mean i will be able to get Fibre optic soon then?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Apr-12 18:59:44
Print Post

Not sure how you get infinity as £15 cheaper, I think you are forgetting to cost in the voice line rental

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:18:55
Print Post

It looks like you'll be able to get it, just remember the summer date is a guideline for the exchange going live with fibre.

To put some positive spin on things, I've got a June date too and all i have is some yellow paint on the floor indicating where the new cabinet will go frown

Finally, remember that companies other than BT retail will be selling fibre once it's available to you. Sky and talktalk have their own equipment in your exchange and there are the standard BT resellers available too.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Sky Netgear DG934G
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:30:21
Print Post

£29.90 for option 3 broadband with £4.90 upgrade to anytime calls
£14.60 for line rental

£44.50 on current advert. Infinity is £1 per month more for the Unlimited.

Do you use more than 40GB ? do you use £4.90 per month of daytime calls ? These options may offer scope for cost saving.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User nickjett
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:36:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I use more than 40gb a month, the calls we rarely use. It was just a luxury to have unlimited calls, even though my g/f sometimes forgets to press 5 before calling, so we get charged for that call.

I hear Sky are launching FTTC in April, if it is true that my area is getting FTTC in June maybe Sky might be cheaper.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:55:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by nickjett:
It was just a luxury to have unlimited calls, even though my g/f sometimes forgets to press 5 before calling, so we get charged for that call.
???

What is that about pressing 5? Doesn't sound like a BT call plan to me. More like calling a "missed call" number from 1471, which has its own charge, instead of noting the number and calling it for free.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:56:25
Print Post

Plus Net broadband is £28 for 60GB (with unlimited off peak usage), including any time calls. You can knock it down to £24.50 if you pay 12 months rental in one hit. It's £10 more for the 40/2 Fibre product with 120GB data usage.

There's a pro add on for £5 a month which improves traffic management.

I recently done away with our any time calls, we both have free minutes on our mobiles, the wife agreed to this, then she promptly run up over £6 worth of calls!

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 01-Apr-12 19:58:19)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to