General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Apr-12 20:38:26
Print Post

Huawei HG612 working as a router

[link to this post]

Has anyone got one working as a router? I think Openreach supply it as a modem, but it does have router functions.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User neilll
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:35:19
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG612 working as a router

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Has anyone got one working as a router? I think Openreach supply it as a modem, but it does have router functions.

BT lock them down with their own firmware but the device is capable of quite a lot of things. I've seen documentation on how to 'unlock' them but expect to endure the wrath of BT if you do and something goes wrong smile

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Fibre Active (FTTC/37mb)
Check Point Safe@Office UTM
Exchange - Corby (EMCRRBY)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:14:07
Print Post

[re: neilll] [link to this post]

I'll put you down as a "no" then.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:31:49
Print Post

We do this in our office.

Once unlocked, you can switch it from Bridge mode to Routed Mode and have the modem do the PPPoE authentication itself. You can also turn DHCP on and set up virtual servers etc, just like a normal router.

Simply plug the modem in to a switch and thats that smile No wireless of course, still need an access point etc.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:35:22
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Cool. Do I need to know any settings, or are they already in there?

Congrats on your new status btw smile

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:40:41
Print Post

Thanks.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged in to the modem in LAN 2 not LAN 1, and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click Submit

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

You can now use both LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports for 2 devices or plug 1 in to a switch etc.
HTH

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.

Edited by Adsl24 (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:41:51)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:43:22
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Thanks.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged in to the modem in LAN 2 not LAN 1, and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click Submit

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

You can now use both LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports for 2 devices or plug 1 in to a switch etc.
HTH
Thanks James, nice one wink

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 04-Apr-12 23:40:04
Print Post

And you can change the internal IP range too if you want to move away from the common 192.168.xx.xx.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 07-Apr-12 08:15:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That all went very well, after I remembered to have the modem connected to the phoneline.

I now have got a modem/router which is:

handling the pppoe session,
the firewall is off,
QOS is off,
UPNP is on,
TR069 is off,
logging is on,
DHCP is handing out addresses,
and both lan ports are in use.

Next stage is statistics graphing and a bit of automation.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sat 07-Apr-12 09:35:24
Print Post

If memory sreves me right, you are using this modem on an ADSL connection.

Some parts of the Windows Graphing Scripts MIGHT work, but I think ADSL has different names for some of the data/information.

e.g. I believe ADSL's SF (SuperFrames) is named OHF (OverHeadFrames) for VDSL2 (FTTC) connections & the scripts are written for VDSL2.

If you access a terminal program (Putty seems to be a good one as you can easily set it up to store log files etc.), you could try running the "xdslcmd --help" command to see what stats/info would be available.

Then you could run the relevant commands to see what the output data looks like & maybe spot the differences that would need changing?

It MIGHT just be a simple case of Find/Replace the relevant VDSL2 terms/names with ADSL terms/names.

I ALMOST got RouterStats working with the HG612, but it gave spurious results.
It looked like some of the data from the modem's web page (http://192.168.1.1/html/status/xdslStatus.asp) moved around a little & confused RouterStats.

Text
# xdslcmd --help
 Usage: xdslcmd start [--up] [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>]           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       xdslcmd stop       xdslcmd connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]           [--tones] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       xdslcmd configure [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]           [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a">] [--us0 <on|off>]           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]       xdslcmd bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       xdslcmd afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]       xdslcmd qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       xdslcmd inm [--start <BB_THRESH 10*dB> <INMIATO> <INMIATS>] [--stop] [--show]       xdslcmd snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       xdslcmd diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>]           [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>]
               xdslcmd info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg] 
       xdslcmd profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]       xdslcmd --version
       xdslcmd --help
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to