General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 17:22:58
Print Post

strange speed test with sky fibre

[link to this post]

had sky fibre installed yesterday all went fine apart from bt guy having to go back to the cabinet three times has he coudnt get a dial tone on the phone,anyway im syncd at 39998 and 1999 speed test shows around 24 down with wireless and around 34 down wired.its not the speed that concerns me it the speed test graph thats worrying it has a lot of peaks and troughs in it ,almost like it shoots up to max speed then back down to almost zero then back up again ,speedtest.net website im using .ive got virgin media 10 meg cable aswell and on the graph this shows as a almost rock steady 9.5 meg connection with hardly any peaks.
before the sky fibre we had sky bb unlimted and the sppedtest graph was also very smooth when testing this connection.
am i right in saying they still use your old cable from the house back to the cabinet?if this is the case could there be a problem with myfibre back to the exchange?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Apr-12 17:29:55
Print Post

Re: strange speed test with sky fibre

[re: chelsea81] [link to this post]

The fibre is shared with others, so would be affecting them all, not likely to be congestion on that bit of fibre as multiple GigE links are available.

What is your computers OS? Some may need the RWIN tweaking to avoid stalls.

A screenshot of the graph would be interesting, as sort of proves a point I keep making but seems to be ignored that speedtest.net favours peak speeds.

If there was a major problem with the copper to the cabinet, you'd be expected pings to show some pattern too, rather than a steady value.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 17:36:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hi im using windows 7, if try the test on my iphone i get about 6 meg but a smooth graph.ive tried some other test sites and the ones using a needle to indicate speed always seem to stall.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 18:10:47
Print Post

ive taken a screen shot how do i attatch?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 03-Apr-12 18:35:28
Print Post

The only image you can attach is one from the TBB speedtester. However, you can put a link to a speedtest.net result or link to a hosted image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-12 18:32:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

i cant put a link bacause the graph dissapears at the end of the test ,is it ok to send some screen shots to a moderator?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 05-Apr-12 18:40:13
Print Post

stick them on some file / photo sharing site and post the link

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:19:48
Print Post

Re: strange speed test with sky fibre *DELETED*

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Post deleted by billford
Standard User chelsea81
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:28:23
Print Post

also just found this on a bt forum ,this sounds exactly what mine is doing

Ive had my Infinity installed over a week ago now and the speeds are great 35mb down / 8mb up, however i have noticed a problem with it.

From time to time the downloading of data seems to "stall" ive tried a few different websites and the "stalling" is sporadic, its most noticable on speedtest.net, the speed jumps up to 35mb and then stops downloading, the speed falls before kicking back in. The result still gives a good download speed but this "stalling" is playing havoc with online gaming. Ive tried a wired connection and wireless connection with the same results as well as some websites not loading on iphone via wireless.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Standard User panda
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 20:59:54
Print Post

Do you have a virus checker?
Any difference with it disabled?

Eats shoots and leaves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to