General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aosk
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:56:48
Print Post

Sky Fibre or BT Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. Our exchange has finally got fibre and I'm now faced with decision making. I've been looking to upgrade for a while, but since no fibre, I've been stalled. Right now, I'm between BT Infinity Option 2 (Unlimited 40mb/10mb) or Sky Fibre (40mb/2mb). I'm with Sky right now, on Sky Unlimited.

The 2mb upload with Sky definitely puts me off. It concerns me as to whether they plan on upping that in the future or not. Talking to an OpenReach engineer today, he's told me BT will upgrade to 80mb/20mb free of charge (it'll essentially be the norm for all fibre customers). The only thing is, is that we do a lot of gaming and streaming - how bad is BT's throttling? I understand there's no longer a fair usage policy but I've heard stories from BT Infinity customers being limited all the way down to ~15mb during peak hours?

Bottom line is, what's the best option for a household that downloads a lot, streams, uploads and games (P2P) a lot? Coming from ordinary copper wire broadband, excellent line quality (we practically live inside the exchange) and every LLU in the exchange? Personal opinions are welcome, regardless of bias - I'm looking for you folks' first hand experiences.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 16:59:54
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre or BT Infinity

[re: aosk] [link to this post]

Sky. They might offer 80/20 in the future.
Standard User aosk
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:01:30
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Right. Do you think I should just disregard the fact that the Open Reach engineer told me that they'll never touch the speeds? Seems a bit biased, since Open Reach is part of BT and he did seem to be selling me BT Infinity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:02:52
Print Post

Wait till 12 April when Sky announce their products and prices. 80/20 will be available from Openreach on 10 April.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:03:23
Print Post

He's telling porkies. I doubt the BT Infinity upgrade to 80/20 will be free.
Standard User aosk
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:05:26
Print Post

I think so. He was very friendly, but the bias was slightly obvious.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:14:30
Print Post

The upgrade as in product migration may well be free, but the monthly ongoing fee is likely to change.

Lots of questions if BT Retail manages to write off another £3.xx of wholesale costs.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:16:10
Print Post

Do you find your current probably around 700Kbps upstream limiting?
The extra that 10Meg offers makes zero difference to gaming, as even with voice you only need around 128 Kbps.

The limiting stories are matched by the stories of Sky customers getting slow speed and not being able to game at peak times.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aosk
(newbie) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:27:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Do you find your current probably around 700Kbps upstream limiting?
The extra that 10Meg offers makes zero difference to gaming, as even with voice you only need around 128 Kbps.

The limiting stories are matched by the stories of Sky customers getting slow speed and not being able to game at peak times.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I say streaming, I meant livestreaming. I do understand gaming isn't that demanding though.

Edited by aosk (Wed 04-Apr-12 17:29:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 17:44:06
Print Post

Ok in terms of webcam streaming its worth checking how the PC copes with it, as encoding a stream can be the bottle neck, i.e. trying to encode at 6Mbps 1080i will push many PC's, where as most will happily manage a 600 Kbps 320x240 picture.

Encoding problems show up as high CPU load, and dropped frames, so worth testing to see what your hardware can manage.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to