General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:10:30
Print Post

Bit of a strange FTTC questions?

[link to this post]

My exchange (Aberdeen Denburn) is dues to go FTTC on the 30th of June, the cabs are in place and Scottish hydro have been installing the power lines recently, but when I check my postode (AB25 1GS) on the BT line checker it tells me there are no plans for FTTC services in my area.

however, if i check a very close by postcode (AB25 1NX) it tells me FTTC will be live on 30/6/12 and an estimated speed of 40 down and 10 up. My home is closer to the FTTC cab than the AB25 1NX postcode.

Is this a fault in the line checker or am I really not going to get any FTTC services? I would hope not as the cab is under 100 feet from my front door and was really looking forward to getting a 80/20 package when it goes live!

Anyone got any ideas?

Getting about 15mb down and 900k up on Sky DSL, not bad when it's free! Can't wait for FTTC (30-6-12)

Disclaimer: I work for sky, but have no involvement AT ALL with broadband, so dont ask! tongue
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:13:26
Print Post

Re: Bit of a strange FTTC questions?

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

I'm unclear if the postcode checker gives out FTTC data any more. The number checker is best, followed by the address checker. Not sure if these go live with FTTC data until the exchange is "taking orders".

See what the address and number checkers do for you.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:18:58
Print Post

Not good news I am afraid.

You are not connected to the cabinet close-by, but are fed directly from the exchange, otherwise known as an Exchange Only line.

This means that as your line is not fed from a cabinet you are unable to receive the FTTC service. Properties AB25 1NX are fed from cab 76 thus why FTTC is showing for that postcode.

Nothing you can do I'm afraid to say, it is just the way your line was routed when BT put all the infrastructure in. Exchange lines are common for new builds/estates where there was insufficient capacity at the cabinet to feed lines to the new plot so Openreach had to run a new cable direct from the exchange, bypassing the cabinet.

I know, it sucks, but back then FTTC was not even thought developed so it made zilch difference to a phone line.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.

Edited by Adsl24 (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:22:33)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:20:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I'm unclear if the postcode checker gives out FTTC data any more. The number checker is best, followed by the address checker. Not sure if these go live with FTTC data until the exchange is "taking orders".

See what the address and number checkers do for you.

Yeah, the postcode checker gives out FTTC, it tried it with AB25 1NX and it gave 40 down.

If i use the AB25 1NX Postcode on bt's infinity site it lets me It allows me to "register intrest" but if i use my AB25 1GS postcode (about 60 metres away, cab in the middle of both postodes) is says "
Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes."

My house is only 15 years old, fairly new wiring in this development, where as the surrounding buildings are all at least 100 years old.

Getting about 15mb down and 900k up on Sky DSL, not bad when it's free! Can't wait for FTTC (30-6-12)

Disclaimer: I work for sky, but have no involvement AT ALL with broadband, so dont ask! tongue
Standard User connormill
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:23:47
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Well, really not the news I was looking for, but at least it's a definitive answer.

So what are my choices then? FTTP on demand possible for a line like this?

It's particularly annoying considering I walk past the [censored] FTTC cab every day!

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:27:20
Print Post

I'm in a similar situation, I am fed from a cabinet they are not upgrading yet 2 doors up from me is fed from a different pole (DP) which goes to a different cab that is FTTC enabled. Openreach unwilling to re-route the 20 yards it would simply require.

FTTP on demand - it is not yet clear if Openreach will still rely on the property being connected to an FTTC enabled cab, or whether they won't care about this, and just feed the property from the nearest FTTC cab (which I would expect). This way it means that there is hope for many more thousands who want Fibre but their local cab was not enabled, yet another cab close-by was.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.

Edited by Adsl24 (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:29:09)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User connormill
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:30:27
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
I'm in a similar situation, I am fed from a cabinet they are not upgrading yet 2 doors up from me is fed from a different pole (DP) which goes to a different cab that is FTTC enabled. Openreach unwilling to re-route the 20 yards it would simply require.

Well if they are unwilling to do something as simple as that, then it's unlikely they'll connect my line to the FTTC cab, similar distance, but it's all underground.

All I can say is damn you BT! cheaping out and loosing a customer, currently get all my phone and broadband services for free but was totally willing to switch to BT for a 80/20 connection, but I guess my money is no good tongue

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:41:16
Print Post

I think you might need to change your signature frown

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:47:47
Print Post

Currently only 40% of UK can get FTTC/P from Openreach, so bound to be boundary issues and cabinets they skip to try and get as many different areas enabled.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User connormill
(learned) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:53:57
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I think you might need to change your signature frown

Yeah, unless I move house :/

It's a really downer, I've been looking forward to FTTC for over a year now! was meant to go live in march but got pushed back, and now I wont even get it at all!

Mind you, it's not all bad, 16mb on ADSL isn't too shabby, but it is no where near 80!

Might have to get onto someone at sky, see if they can just run a 10gig fibre right into my house! Not holding my breath though!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to