General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 15:53:45
Print Post

FTTC in Hove

[link to this post]

(This is a copy of a post I made to another area that was probably not appropriate.)

I moved into my current house in Hove in May 2011. At the time, BT's on-line broadband checker was showing availability of Infinity from 30th June 2011. This has changed every 3 months since: the date advances by 3 months every time the promised date approaches.

I sent an enquiry to the BT Infinity team 3 weeks ago (when the broadband checker was showing Infinity availability from 31st March) to which I received the following reply:

“Good news!

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.

If you would like to proceed with an order for the BT Retail Infinity service we would be delighted to process your order, let us know if you would like further information and a copy of the pre-order form. On receipt we will monitor the planning date and ensure the order is placed as soon as the cabinet goes live so that you in turn can receive the earliest possible delivery date.”

Shortly after the broadband checker changed availability to 30th June 2012. My postcode is BN34FE. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 05-Apr-12 16:02:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Hove

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just checked your postcode on the December list and has come back with this

SDHV BRIGHTON HOVE BN34FE {SDHV}{P106} 0 100% 7.5 4a No FTTC

Their is a issue with the cab and its currently not deployed, as to what the problem could be it could be anything, the area you are in is it a conservation area?

http://g.co/maps/p6f7m

Is that cab 106?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Thu 05-Apr-12 16:03:54)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 16:05:25
Print Post

Coincidentally, I'd just clicked on the BT link out of interest before I read your post. BT claim it's now arrived in BN3 1NF (40Mb/10Mb as you stated).

I turned down the offer of an online chat. Might be a good idea to re-enter your details on the advert? If only BT Infinity would work on the Broomfield, Essex exchange!

Barrold

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 17:01:44
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Yes it is cabinet 106 (according to the scrappily painted number on the side) and yes, we are in a conservation area. What could this mean in terms of delay?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 17:54:23
Print Post

I browsed planning applications on Brighton Council’s web site. and found that Openreach had submitted an application in April 2011 to install a new cabinet about 50 yards from the current cabinet. The decision was “prior approval required”; there seems to be an issue about placing it next to a tree. There is no indication as to how this will be resolved.
Standard User simon194
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 01:03:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I browsed planning applications on Brighton Council’s web site. and found that Openreach had submitted an application in April 2011 to install a new cabinet about 50 yards from the current cabinet. The decision was “prior approval required”; there seems to be an issue about placing it next to a tree. There is no indication as to how this will be resolved.

Gotta love conservation areas. smile

There's a similar battle raging near me over the siting of a cab. Originally it was going to be next to the PCP but there were objections because it would obstruct the pavement. So Openreach resubmitted the application placing the cab 10m away on the other side of the road and that's had objection from the local residents association because it's too visible.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 06-Apr-12 01:08:00
Print Post

You need to get in touch with your local planning officers or councilers to see what the hold up is and find out when the problem will be sorted.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to