General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jaowon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 07:38:12
Print Post

How much does it cost to activate a cabinet?

[link to this post]

Anyone know the costs to activate a cabinet?

On our street is 2 cabinets, and typically, the office I work at is connected to the 2nd cabinet which hasn't been activated for FTTC. So at the moment I'm about to order a leased-line because our 2mb ADSL simply isn't handling the amount of data we need to upload / download during working hours.

So, if the reason that our cabinet wasn't enabled, was simple commercial viability, would it be possible to pay BT to do so and if so, how much? The costs to install the leased line is about £20K. It might be possible to get the other businesses on the street to chip in to the pot too as we're all screaming for faster speeds.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Apr-12 08:05:50
Print Post

Re: How much does it cost to activate a cabinet?

[re: Jaowon] [link to this post]

Did you check Ethernet EFM pricing?

Cabinet 30 to 40k

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:29:36
Print Post

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.... is a demand registration facility - get them all to sign up here and maybe use that "other ISP" box to good effect.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:32:30
Print Post

Is the area you are in mainly commercial? Pretty sure I've seen posts which seem to point to BT not FTTC enabling cabinets that contain are mainly business lines (to protect lucrative / expensive business products like leased lines?).

Plusnet Extra Fibre (with PRO add-on)
My Broadband Ping
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:33:49
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

or perhaps in anticipation of low demand for xDSL based services without SLAs etc from businesses. There are businesses with 0.5, 1 and 2M leased lines in areas with much faster ADSL.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Justo
(member) Tue 10-Apr-12 13:02:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Did you check Ethernet EFM pricing?

Cabinet 30 to 40k

2nd that - EFM would be a tenth to install and would be a better bet for a business.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 07:40:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.... is a demand registration facility - get them all to sign up here and maybe use that "other ISP" box to good effect.

think be bit work for me to give that link out to every one (Warrington could do FTTC in the outer areas as 20% of it is degraded speeds) as it supports a lot of premises (35000 ish)

i assume you mean other ISP to get them to pick an ISP thats not BT as if they are all ready on BT ADSL will not care much to upgrade to FTTC if they are on there main BT ADSL product

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Apr-12 08:37:08
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
i assume you mean other ISP to get them to pick an ISP thats not BT as if they are all ready on BT ADSL will not care much to upgrade to FTTC if they are on there main BT ADSL product
?
I don't understand what you mean there.

If they would like "up to 80Mbps" then FTTC/P is the way, apart from Virgin Media Cable which is a different topic. Why would someone already on BT ADSL2+ not want faster than their possible current 4-5Mbps, (or even less), just because they are already on BT Broadband?

It's virtually the same price!

Edit - Ah! You mean BT might not want to upgrade them because they already have them.

That doesn't make sense. First FTTC is an Openreach thing, not BT Retail Broadband, and second if it were true in the wider scheme of things then Openreach FTTC wouldn't exist anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-Apr-12 09:37:34)

Standard User simon194
(regular) Wed 11-Apr-12 09:20:31
Print Post

There are a number of companies that will provide business fibre sevices with speeds up to 10Gbps which would be installed quicker than waiting for Openreach to enable a cabinet.
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 10:05:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

on Warrington not seen any plans for it unless that has changed (wa41 area) most of the other 21cn upgraded exchanges around Warrington have got it now

sorry was related to that interest in the FTTC product Link (they can pick what ever ISP they are on)

an large outer part of Warrington network is under 1-2mb most of the houses are more then 1-2km from the exchange so most never see more then 8mb but from what i have been seeing at peoples houses norm less then 5mb avg or less, if your in the center of town you mite get 10-20mb it widely ranges but the houses are not in town, i could count how many ADSL 10mb+ connections i have seen (it's not a lot 10 maybe) excluding cable as its min is 10mb (any number with an 4 after area code norm is virgin customer or Ex VM customer)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to