General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:42:36
Print Post

Whole street can get Infinity apart from me?

[link to this post]

I live in Reading and my exchange has been enabled for Fibre but BT keep saying I can't get it. They explained my cabinet hasn't been upgraded. So I checked the addresses of the next door neighbours in a terraced house and all the addresses on adjacent streets and they are all able to get Infinity. I called up BT asking them to double check but they said that the information is accurate and there's no way for there to be a mistake.

What gives? Are BT correct in saying I can't get it or is there a mistake in their system. It absolutely baffles my mind that in a row of houses and on the rest of the estate, every single one of them can get Inifinity apart from mine.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:44:40
Print Post

Re: Whole street can get Infinity apart from me?

[re: bellissimo] [link to this post]

it does seem odd. What does the number checker say for your line ?

Can you see physically if you are fed from the same place as neighbours - eg off the same pole.

Who is your line rental with, and current ISP ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:52:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm on Sky so number checker doesn't work so I've been using the address checker. And just to make sure, I typed in all of the houses on my row and adjacent street as well as houses a bit further out in the estate - it seems I'm the only one who can't get Infinity.

I'll have a look to see where the line is going to but I fear it won't make any difference because BT won't process the order because they either can't or won't if their system says 'no'. The strange thing is, when I first moved in here (it's a shared house I rent) last November I was able to run the checker and it recognised the address and said Infinity available from March 2012. So it came to March 2012 but my address disappeared from their online checker. Repeatedly tried to reach out to BT via Twitter and on the phone but it's all been a waste of time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(learned) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:57:34
Print Post

Have you tried other Phone Numbers in the street, as opposed to Addresses?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:00:29
Print Post

fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/

The solution is imminent

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:03:09
Print Post

Surely the Sky solution would just be the same - it's all using BT lines and if BT are saying I can't get Infinity then Sky will surely say the same.
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:04:52
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I don't know anyone else's phone number on this street - should it matter?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:08:07
Print Post

BT Infinity is the BT Retail service offered using Openreach fibre to the cabinet. Sky wil lalso use the Openreach FTTC service up to their connection to the exchange.

Sky know your line number and know you're connected to their service so it will be far easier for them to sort it.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User bellissimo
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 10:24:57
Print Post

Sky also saying I can't get it yet. Desperate to get a faster line - not had a 3Mb line since 2006 maybe even before that! I've been used to 20Mb for several years now and before that I had 8Mb. But having moved to Reading late last year I've been stuck with miserable 3Mb which barely streams YouTube videos. Incredibly frustrated that I even considered adding an unlimited data package to my mobile contract as that gives me a faster connection than my ADSL line does.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 11:14:26
Print Post

I would wait till it's launched and stick at it with Sky and an escalation. Can't see you getting more joy here than from an ISP.

If it's a really big deal order a new line with simultaneous provide of BT Infinity smile

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Fri 06-Apr-12 11:15:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to