General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DearneRanger
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 21:53:53
Print Post

Digital Region South Yorks: Origin Broadband - the future?

[link to this post]

Hi team smile

I moved to the South Yorkshire area way back at the end of 2011 and was really pleased to find out about Digital Region FTTC broadband, and doubly chuffed to realise I have a DR cabinet right outside my front door (literally <5m), so max speeds all the way.

I promptly got myself set up with a BT phone line and placed an order with Origin Broadband, a local Digital Region supplier. Things went okay, until I received a telephone call from Origin back in February with my proposed setup date - 2 April. By this point, I'd already been waiting nearly a month, and would have had another six weeks or more without broadband, an untenable situation since I require the connection for work and had been spending considerable sums on 3G data access.

Origin told me the hold-up was due to the closure of another Digital Region supplier, Ripwire, whose demise is documented elsewhere on this forum, although I'm not sure why this would affect another ISP. Anyway, I informed them that I couldn't wait this long, put my order on hold, and signed up with a straight LLU provider, ADSL24, on a month-by-month basis, so I had some connectivity until Origin got their act together.

Origin phoned me yesterday (Good Friday!), basically to ask whether I wanted to continue with my order or bin it, as they've apparently now resolved some of their issues from previously and are connecting their backlog of customers.

I'm in a quandary about the whole thing, which is where you lovely people come in! Origin would mean an increase from my current 12Mb to 40Mb, but the fact that they've had such desperate issues fulfilling orders recently, and the apparent parlous financial state of the DR project as a whole (my local council, Barnsley, has just put another load of money in to stop it going under) makes me think twice. I have visions of waking up one morning to find either Origin or DR closed down and no internet connection or phone line! ADSL24 has been an excellent connection in the couple of months I've had it, but the speed increase is so tempting...

Is anyone else here with Origin, or any other DR provider? What do you think the future holds for this scheme as a whole? Will I make a huge mistake transferring across, or is it likely to survive?

Edited by DearneRanger (Sat 07-Apr-12 21:55:30)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Apr-12 22:07:37
Print Post

Re: Digital Region South Yorks: Origin Broadband - the futur

[re: DearneRanger] [link to this post]

If it all goes pear shaped in 6 months what will you have lost?

I'd go for it. If people don't sign up today due to the published issues then they're destined to fail.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 22:10:34
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

My main concern is that because it's a completely separate network to BT (everything except the last little bit of copper from the cab to my house is DR) it'll be a hell of a job trying to get my line back if it does go belly-up. Is this an unfounded fear?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AgentWalker
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 22:16:15
Print Post

With Origin at the moment, signed up in November last year so before all the sign up problems.

Not had any issues apart from the first few weeks when there was some routing issue causing speed problems but once that got sorted things have been fine.

Thinking about upgrading to the Max package just announced but with only recently signing up and costing me £75 for installation compared to just £55 plus not wanting the new hardware i'm not sure. Perhaps if there was some sort of a compromise with a slight reduction maby i'd upgrade.

over i'd have no worries signing up as a new customer if anything happens with Origin or Digital region you won't get cut off in the middle of the night, something will be in place.

i'd say go for it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Apr-12 23:12:10
Print Post

A system would be setup to return line just the same as if a full llu provider went under. Even if worst happened i would expect service to continue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User littlebigone
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 23:24:22
Print Post

We (littlebigone.com) are a Digital Region ISP. You should not have any concerns about the long term availability of service on the Digital Region network, we certainly don't !!

You do however need to choose your ISP on the network. We have been and ISP for 11 years and just launched the UK's first county-wide deployment of 100% IPTV (network TV as we call it), so you can now get a full package of superfast broadband, phone and TV service from one company.

If you have any questions or would like to know more, please visit our site, call us on 0800 652 8288 or email info@littlebigone.com.

Thanks
littlebigone.com
Standard User originb
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-12 11:18:56
Print Post

Hi,

Nice to hear you're considering giving us a chance to show you what we can do. Regards the issues we've had, we can't go into too much detail, but we're back on a strong footing now, and ready to give top speeds to everyone in south yorkshire. As you said, we called you on good friday, we're working round the clock at the minute to get everyone up and running asap. Digital Region isn't going anywhere, there's millions of pounds of fibre under the streets and the more people that give a local company like us a chance, the stronger Digital Region will be. We're the only company that offer 24mb, 40mb and now an unlimited package all with no caps. We're young and passionate and determined to do things differently to the old guard, those who give us a chance will quickly understand that we are a company built by people like you, not profit mongers chasing a nice car.

Hopefully we'll see you soon, and if there's owt we can do to help, just let us know. Viva Yorkshire!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-Apr-12 11:27:59
Print Post

[re: originb] [link to this post]

I've been on the DR network via ASK4 for a month now and I haven't had any problems or slow downs.
Standard User vit0
(regular) Sun 08-Apr-12 11:29:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

forgot to login.... I've been on the DR network via ASK4 for a month now and I haven't had any problems or slow downs. My order with ASK4 took about 14 working days from the day of order to being made live

(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-12 11:57:50
Print Post

[re: originb] [link to this post]

Cheers Origin.

I'm out of town at present for the long weekend - but will someone be around tomorrow when I'm back home to have a chat about how we can proceed?

It does seem like a no-brainer now that my fears about the future viability of the service have been allayed. I'll gi' you a call tomorrow. (Already learning the local language!)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Apr-12 17:12:50
Print Post

Did you end up placing an order with Origin out of interest?

I am a happy Origin customer and have been since September last year when I connected to the network with them. I had been with BT for broadband since 2000 and recieved 2Mb when I finnished my contract with them! I have to admit its the best descion I have made broadband wise and ISP I think. I have dealt with a number of ISP's on faults for customers and by far Orgin are top with customer services etc so you've made a good choice is my opinion smile
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-12 17:58:40
Print Post

If you can wait to get connected, I think it will be worthwhile. They offer a max package which is totally unlimited maximum speed your line supports for £35/month now. If you are bang right next to your cabinet I would say 120Mb down 30Mb up would be very likely maybe better if the upload isn't capped to 30Mb like I believe.

If I had the money secured I would have joined them already. I'm planning to move over by the end of the year though regardless, even if it's just on the 24/2 product. Which would be a significant upgrade from my current connection.

(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:07:51
Print Post

I'm a new Origin Broadband customer and I am very happy with the service I have just received getting connected as well as the speeds I now experience. I switched from Sky so it was a slightly longer process but pretty straightforward. It also took a while longer to get connected due to a line issue but the wait was worth it and the support I received during this time was excellent. I have every confidence that Digital Region and Origin Broadband will be a success based on my experiences to date.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:30:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by DearneRanger:
Hi team smile

I moved to the South Yorkshire area way back at the end of 2011 and was really pleased to find out about Digital Region FTTC broadband, and doubly chuffed to realise I have a DR cabinet right outside my front door (literally <5m), so max speeds all the way.

I promptly got myself set up with a BT phone line and placed an order with Origin Broadband, a local Digital Region supplier. Things went okay, until I received a telephone call from Origin back in February with my proposed setup date - 2 April. By this point, I'd already been waiting nearly a month, and would have had another six weeks or more without broadband, an untenable situation since I require the connection for work and had been spending considerable sums on 3G data access.

Origin told me the hold-up was due to the closure of another Digital Region supplier, Ripwire, whose demise is documented elsewhere on this forum, although I'm not sure why this would affect another ISP. Anyway, I informed them that I couldn't wait this long, put my order on hold, and signed up with a straight LLU provider, ADSL24, on a month-by-month basis, so I had some connectivity until Origin got their act together.

Origin phoned me yesterday (Good Friday!), basically to ask whether I wanted to continue with my order or bin it, as they've apparently now resolved some of their issues from previously and are connecting their backlog of customers.

I'm in a quandary about the whole thing, which is where you lovely people come in! Origin would mean an increase from my current 12Mb to 40Mb, but the fact that they've had such desperate issues fulfilling orders recently, and the apparent parlous financial state of the DR project as a whole (my local council, Barnsley, has just put another load of money in to stop it going under) makes me think twice. I have visions of waking up one morning to find either Origin or DR closed down and no internet connection or phone line! ADSL24 has been an excellent connection in the couple of months I've had it, but the speed increase is so tempting...

Is anyone else here with Origin, or any other DR provider? What do you think the future holds for this scheme as a whole? Will I make a huge mistake transferring across, or is it likely to survive?

Im with LBO and im glad i made the choice to go on the DRN constant speeds good customer service and offer TV too TV fitted tomorrow so dont have a comment on that so far but broadband been active since 12th and 24/7 full speeds waiting on may 1st then ill be on their uncapped service cant wait, As others said the main fail of the network is people reading reports then saying oh ill wait 6 month and see were it is because if everyone thinks that then its doomed to fail, So take the plunge you wont regreat it which ever ISP you chose

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-12 22:51:20
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I do think DR have some trouble with the pricing.

Imho Origin should be offering services from £15 for the 24/2. Remove the 40/2 package completely as it's pure junk. £20 for 40/10 package. £25 for a 80/20 package and £35 for the uncapped max.

Lastly it is possible to offer symmetrical speeds on VDSL, although I'm not sure the DR technical team is capable of figuring out how to configure it. So they could do a £40 business or "home office" package for say 40/40

If they can't afford to do that, you have to ask how are they going to compete with BT when people do the maths.

Edited by LeJimster (Sun 29-Apr-12 22:56:22)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 23:10:35
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LeJimster:
I do think DR have some trouble with the pricing.

Imho Origin should be offering services from £15 for the 24/2. Remove the 40/2 package completely as it's pure junk. £20 for 40/10 package. £25 for a 80/20 package and £35 for the uncapped max.

Lastly it is possible to offer symmetrical speeds on VDSL, although I'm not sure the DR technical team is capable of figuring out how to configure it. So they could do a £40 business or "home office" package for say 40/40

If they can't afford to do that, you have to ask how are they going to compete with BT when people do the maths.

Too little people can actually get 40 up so i dont think a 40/40 would ever work, As for the pricing its not that bad i mean the £35 for the uncapped is not bad at all when u consider talktalks 80/20 is also 35 quid and talktalk are a huge company whos who advertising is were mac off cheaper than most other isps lol, Bt are about the only ones who are actually offering 80/20 for under 30 quid and there eating major costs to get the custom in the first place because they can afford to, Any isp on the DRN would not be able to afford this they cant even afford to absorb the 50 quid install most of the time you mind 10 quid a monthi agree in a perfect world it would be a lot better pricing to compete but as with everything in life its not perfect lol

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to