General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Mon 09-Apr-12 18:27:54
Print Post

Infinity Speed Estimate

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
The BT Infinity cabinet has gone up where my local cab is, and as a benefit they replaced the old pcp there aswell smile. so 2 new cabs smile,
The BT WBC Checker easimates this

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th June 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 27.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.6Mbps.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.0 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 12.3 db 24.0 db

The above is my existing BT Adsl connection with a ping of 23ms (used to be 25ms before old pcp replacement)

Just wondering what peoples expereinces have been with these estimates and what speed you have actually got at the end of it,When infinity becomes available we shall be getting it as we need the upstream for sending emails, remote access etc... downstream is not the issue here smile,
But it will be nice to know what to sort of expect when we get infinity.

Cheers Guys.

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Mon 09-Apr-12 18:29:48)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 18:41:20
Print Post

Re: Infinity Speed Estimate

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Your ADSL stats don't really give any indication of FTTC speeds as we don't know the distance between the cabinet and your home.

Thinking simplistically the cabinet could be just outside the exchange and so you only see a minor reduction in the length of copper between you and and the cabinet. As a result your FTTC speed would be low. Alternatively the cabinet could be right next to you and so you'd see good speeds.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!
(regular) Mon 09-Apr-12 18:49:15
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Cheers,
The cabinet is about 500Meters away from the exchange and about 500meters away from me,
so what could that perhaps give me?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Apr-12 18:57:06
Print Post

According to this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5160.html
about 76/24 Mbps

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(regular) Mon 09-Apr-12 19:00:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Cheers smile, even if i dont get that speed it will still be above 40:),

Cheers guys, i will post what i get when i get infinity smile

Cheers.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 19:28:49
Print Post

The cabinet is about 500Meters away from the exchange and about 500meters away from me,

Line Attenuation 24.0 db 15.0 db

Oh no it isn't, more like 1.5k exchange to you.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Apr-12 21:55:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

This
where consumers have received downstream line speed of 27.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.6Mbps
looks very dodgy as well. My downstream estimate was the same, and I got 40Mbps at 600 metres, with 10Mbps upstream.

So it could be the estimator has now been tuned. In which case, as you say, he is either a heck of a lot further from the cabinet than he thinks, or there is something like aluminium in the setup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Justo
(member) Tue 10-Apr-12 12:57:56
Print Post

You'll get 40 down and 10 or 2 up depending on the ISP and product you choose to buy. When 80/20 products come on board who knows, probably around 50-60 down.

By the way, the cabinet is an FTTC cabinet which is served by all ISPs in your exchange it's not an Infinity cabinet - that's just the brand name BT choose to use for FTTC.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to