General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonycollinet
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:06:49
Print Post

Mobilising the neighbours

[link to this post]

OK - after finding out our cabinet is not currently planned to be upgraded, in a town where most are, I'm going to try to get the neighbours motivated to register interest.

I'll be leafleting next weekend - and I've also put up the info on a website. Would appreciate any suggestions for improvements:
http://tonycollinet.dyndns.org/fibre4us2/
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:19:19
Print Post

Re: Mobilising the neighbours

[re: tonycollinet] [link to this post]

Neat - just need to fix the spacing on bullet point 3.
Standard User Saltank
(member) Wed 11-Apr-12 12:14:16
Print Post

Good idea, I'm curious to see how it goes!

I'm kind of in the same boat, and thought that maybe I'd spread the word. There are about 70 flats in my building, but I don't know how many are occupied as it's a brand new build.
I was told by my openreach engineer that my line is connected to a cabinet nearby, but to date I've never been able to find which one, so I would have difficulty explaining it to neighbours.

I had shot an email to Hyperoptic about perhaps getting the building hooked up, but after initial contact I've not heard from them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 07:01:27
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I had a fun time listening to you all looking at the pages (The site is served from a little nas drive sitting on my desk. Every time it rattled, I had a look, and sure enough there were another couple of views smile )

In reply to a post by Spasch:
Neat - just need to fix the spacing on bullet point 3.

Thanks for the spot - will be fixed.

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Good idea, I'm curious to see how it goes!

I'm kind of in the same boat, and thought that maybe I'd spread the word. There are about 70 flats in my building, but I don't know how many are occupied as it's a brand new build.
I was told by my openreach engineer that my line is connected to a cabinet nearby, but to date I've never been able to find which one, so I would have difficulty explaining it to neighbours.

I had shot an email to Hyperoptic about perhaps getting the building hooked up, but after initial contact I've not heard from them.

I'm expecting a resounding burst of apathy - but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-12 20:34:15
Print Post

Re: Mobilising the neighbors

How many houses did you stick a flyer through. I am thinking about doing the same for about 450 houses

IanD
(learned) Sat 14-Apr-12 11:16:47
Print Post

Re: Mobilising the neighbors

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Haven't leafleted yet - hopefully this weekend. But I estimate only around 50-60 houses.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-12 11:45:58
Print Post

I'm looking at doing something similar.

However I work for an Internet Service Provider with a fibre/wireless presents where I live.

I'll therefore be looking at alternatives to BT! ... If they are not going to provide service why should you/I campaign to get them to? There are plenty or other companies that could do a better job, may be you should contact some of them first saying that BT will not be providing FTTC!

As I'm in a flat I can look at the possibility of doing FTTB then Ethernet to each property. This means it would be possible to provide 1Gbps to each flat, something FTTC will never be able to do.

In short you really should look at other options that don't involve BT.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Sat 14-Apr-12 11:48:16)

(learned) Sat 14-Apr-12 11:48:29
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

That would be great - but do you really think there would be any chance of an alternate provide being able to make a profit by installing infrastructure to serve just a small number of properties?

I don't
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-12 11:54:39
Print Post

NO, not for 50-60 properties. Which would likely only be 10~20 residents that would take the service.

But there will likely be more cabinets in the area that have been missed. If 100~200 people are interested and it is possible to connect them all to the same fibre backhaul with wireless then there might be a business case.

I guess the cabinet you connect to only serves 60 homes then?

Do you know of other cabinets that have been missed?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-12 12:29:32
Print Post

Doesn't look like there are that many being missed. Most are out of town.

http://batchgeo.com/map/1c3f6cecbacdb5d29a76497110cf...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to