General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 13:12:23
Print Post

When is Taunton getting FTTP?

[link to this post]

Half the town is now lucky enough to have FTTC while the other half waits for FTTP, trouble is we have no idea if or when it's actually coming, the checker is useless and i've not seen or heard anything to suggest they're actually working on this yet, i would at least like to know if it's coming this year or not?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 12-Apr-12 15:02:33
Print Post

Re: When is Taunton getting FTTP?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Are their still Openreach engineers working in the town, as they would be best to ask to give a rough date, FTTP has been very slow in deployment with hardly any news.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-Apr-12 17:54:14
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I was hoping someone might know what's going on, i hear it's similar for other mixed fibre towns?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 13-Apr-12 23:10:37
Print Post

Where their is a split between FTTC and FTTP, the FTTC is enabled while those residents who are ment to get FTTP are still waiting, one would wonder why not just enable for FTTC and then let FTTP on deand for those that want it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 23:56:25
Print Post

Because it's a totally different delivery system into the premises. It may be possible next year, at high cost to the customer, as opposed to normal cost for scheduled FTTP areas.

Did you see this News Article?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-12 01:11:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have seen the article, the point i was trying to make was that the delays in FTTP deployment why not change it for FTTC instead alot less manpower and cost, residents get a faster service sooner rather then later.

Until we see the FTTP on demand pricing and the cost to OR for each house to enable for FTTP is pretty hard to compare.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User simon194
(regular) Sat 14-Apr-12 12:25:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
I have seen the article, the point i was trying to make was that the delays in FTTP deployment why not change it for FTTC instead alot less manpower and cost, residents get a faster service sooner rather then later.

Until we see the FTTP on demand pricing and the cost to OR for each house to enable for FTTP is pretty hard to compare.

Openreach reckon a typical FTTP install takes about 7 hours so assuming they charge their usual rates you are looking at around £1000. In areas where the phone services are carried via poles it takes considerably less time especially if the lines are strung from pole to pole rather than through ducts to each pole.

A lot depend on how much of the cost is passed onto the customer.
Standard User fibreplease
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:35:52
Print Post

I wish I knew. It would be nice if the checker gave even a vague idea. Instead, nothing. The only information I have is from the December spreadsheet that says FTTP to my postcode.

I live in Taunton. A FTTC cabinet has been installed within sight of my front door, but it doesn't serve my house. Instead the homes just behind me. Rubbish.

Xilo C&W LLU @ 4Mbps
TP-Link TD-8816 and Netgear WNDR3700
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 15:11:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Where their is a split between FTTC and FTTP, the FTTC is enabled while those residents who are ment to get FTTP are still waiting, one would wonder why not just enable for FTTC and then let FTTP on deand for those that want it.

Yeah they really should have changed their rollout plans for mixed fibre towns once they came up with fttp on demand, i think most would prefer to have fttc if it means they can have it a lot sooner, so far it looks like fttp is actually a bad sign if you want faster broadband any time soon.

How are things going in other mixed fibre towns, have many got fttp yet?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Apr-12 15:30:30
Print Post

Yeah, I live in Taunton too, I used to live over in Staplegrove, and since moved to Priorswood, surprise surprise, my old house is now 63MB fibre enabled, my new house still runs at 6MB.

FTTP according to the checker spreadsheet is in phase 6b which says completed and 100% rollout.

I can get slightly faster broadband here than I could at my old house, so I thought fibre would have been delivered here first! Should have said "could" get slightly faster broadband.

I am with Sky broadband currently as I have had better experience with them than BT in the past, but would consider switching back for those speeds!

If the spreadsheet says that 100% of the postcode area is being upgraded and it says it has been done, does this mean that I am not going to receive it? Then 100% is not correct, or does it mean that there has been a delay on phase 6b being rolled out? Or another mysterious BT issue that no one ever knows about?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to