General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CommandQ
(learned) Thu 12-Apr-12 15:31:20
Print Post

Enough backhaul? (80/20)

[link to this post]

Will the BT network even be able to cope with loads of people on the new speeds (80/20)? I'm a bit concerned myself, I think they may end up introducing some kind of management to cope with this. When I read it was a free upgrade (yeah, yeah, contract renewal) I wasn't very pleased because of the impact it could have on the network.

Also, it's not looking good for the smaller providers, but a lot of there customers are business users who are already paying a premium for the CS so I suppose they'll probably be willing to pay even more.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 15:45:28
Print Post

Re: Enough backhaul? (80/20)

[re: CommandQ] [link to this post]

How many people currently max out their 40Mbps connection continuously? Very, very few.

Will getting an 80Mbps connection change a users habits? Probably not, or if it does, by just a little. Films will down load faster - but no extra data ... so the big downloads for most families will just happen in 60 seconds instead of 100 seconds!

There might be a little extra congestion at some of the really peak times but in general, I feel it will not have an impact in the near future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-12 15:48:48
Print Post

The quicker you can get something the better.. Chances of everyone downloading a film for example at the same time gets slimmer.

So we shall see very soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 16:03:10
Print Post

80/20 is looking pretty pointless. Unless the results of throughput fall below 12Mbps BTw won't accept speed complaints!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 12-Apr-12 16:46:11
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
80/20 is looking pretty pointless. Unless the results of throughput fall below 12Mbps BTw won't accept speed complaints!

That doesn't necessarily mean that the ISP won't strive to fix a problem, but I agree that this 12Mbps figure for the acceptance of formal BTw fault reports needs changing to something realistic.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Apr-12 16:49:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by CommandQ:
Will the BT network even be able to cope with loads of people on the new speeds (80/20)? I'm a bit concerned myself, I think they may end up introducing some kind of management to cope with this. When I read it was a free upgrade (yeah, yeah, contract renewal) I wasn't very pleased because of the impact it could have on the network.

Also, it's not looking good for the smaller providers, but a lot of there customers are business users who are already paying a premium for the CS so I suppose they'll probably be willing to pay even more.

its sort of like adsl2+ it seems a big chunk of people wont get the top sync speed so it wont be everyone on the higher speeds.

I agree with the thumbs down on the free upgrade, and I hope BT themselves realise 'some' extra capacity will be required and I hope they have already planned and got the capacity in place needed. So far tho BT seem to have learned from past mistakes and infinity has ran well according to customer reports.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 16:52:04
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Is it 12 for 40/10 and 40/2 as well?

If so that's plain stupid. Why should ISPs (and their users if the ISP charges more) for something which is going to go at the same speed at the time they want to use it?

jelv

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Apr-12 16:59:54
Print Post

And what was the figure for the up to 24 Meg ADSL2+ products?

The up to 80 is really the burst speed, rather than the committed rate per user. In most cases it will be the providers backhaul that is the limiting factor, rather than the multiple fibres from the cabinet to the exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Apr-12 17:01:08
Print Post

If it is the same on all of them, the difference is that when contention is not bad (majority of the time) they will see better.

Now for people who lose sleep if their hourly speedtest is not with 20% of maximum speed it may be an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 17:06:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There are two download speeds. If you are paying extra for 80/20 and your sync is near 80 I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be faster that 40/10 - i.e. at least 40.

jelv

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to