General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 18:42:58
Print Post

Not sure if 80/20 is worth it for me.

[link to this post]

Hi.

Complete newbie here.

I'm currently with BT ADSL2, getting about 14mbps download speeds. I was always planning on upgrading to 40mb BT Infinity in the next month anyway (when my special BT discount ends).

Now that BT have announced that speeds are now up to 80mb, I am even more determined to stick with BT, however my question is this:

On the BT speed test, it stats that my estimated speed will be 40.8mbps. If that's the case, there is no point me paying BT prices, when I could go with a cheaper alternative (Sky for example), and just use their "up to 40mb" package.

So, have the line checker speed test thing actually been updated yet taking into account the up to 80mb?

Thanks
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 18:55:33
Print Post

Re: Not sure if 80/20 is worth it for me.

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
So, have the line checker speed test thing actually been updated yet taking into account the up to 80mb?

Mine has and my upgrade order has gone in. Not had a single problem with BT infinity in 14 months so don't mind tying myself in for another 18 months.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 19:03:28
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

So you reckon when my line test says estimated speed 40.8, that's what it reckons I can get on an up to 80meg package?

Doesnt seem right that im losing almost half of the speed.

Is there a way I can see how far away from the cabinet I am? (If I knew what I was looking for i'd go for a walk and try and find it)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Apr-12 19:06:05
Print Post

What you really need is a modem that reports your line stats.

Unfortunately, the Huawei HG612 doesn't report your attenuation, even when hacked (I would have thought Asbokid would have fixed that in the hacked firmware).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:07:29
Print Post

So you reckon when my line test says estimated speed 40.8, that's what it reckons I can get on an up to 80meg package?

Is there a way I can see how far away from the cabinet I am? (If I knew what I was looking for i'd go for a walk and try and find it)

Have a look here:

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

The thing at the top right - FTTC cab.

The 40.8 estimate suggests you are quite a distance from it, maybe over half a mile, and it is unlikely you would gain much on the download speeds with 80/20 over 40/n

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Thu 12-Apr-12 20:09:52)

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 23:15:56
Print Post

I don't know, but people are reporting it to be fairly accurate this time.

It's just the way the cookie crumbles to be honest - I used to be on "upto 24Mbps" and got 4 if I was lucky. I was about as far from my exchange as you could get, now I am about 50m from the cabinet and will get close to the full 80Mbps

Standard User Justo
(member) Fri 13-Apr-12 13:26:05
Print Post

Why not, if you are a distance from the cabinet then you will get a lower speed. People are getting confused thinking that the switch to 80/20 over 40/10 is in some way a speed doubler - it's not it's a profile that by and large benefits people on shorter connections. You would probably have had 30meg on the older profile in which case you'd have had 25% reduction not 50%.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to