General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 01:39:38
Print Post

Exchange recently reported to have FTTC, but!

[link to this post]

My BT exchange is Rayleigh, Essex (EARAY) - link:http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EARAY. Back end of last year it was reported that FTTC would be available June 2012. Then early this year it brought it's scheduled date forward to March 2012. As I'm less than a mile from the exchange (as the crow flies), I mistakenly thought I'd have a fair chance of upgrading from my existing BT broadband package to BT Infinity (FTTC); but no! .............. I rang the BT customer 0800 number yesterday, and they were initially positive until I gave them my address, then it was: "not available at this point in time", but could not explain why. I found this rather frustrating, as I actually saw (around Sept 2011) BT OpenReach engineers, putting all knew copper cabling into a very local (to me) green cabinet. Would the problem be that I'm situated on a "2nd level pathway" which runs parallel with the main road path, with my BT telephone wire coming from a pole on the other side of the main road, about 70 metres from my property? and FTTC being laid underground only? You would think in this day & age, that BT should be more customer focused, and at least be able to indicate whether I'd be able to upgrade to BT Infinity @ some future date, or not - as the case may be frown
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 17-Apr-12 02:32:08
Print Post

Re: Exchange recently reported to have FTTC, but!

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

If you post your full postcode will be able to check which cabinet you are connected to.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 20:40:59
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

SS6 7HQ, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Apr-12 21:21:21
Print Post

P13

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 17-Apr-12 22:20:03
Print Post

From the december spreadsheet

EARAY RAYLEIGH SS67HQ {EARAY}{P13} 0 100% 2.82 7b Yes FTTC

Your cab is number 13 and was planned to have FTTC in phase 7b April-June (rough period), do you know where your local cab is?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 23:49:57
Print Post

If they are numbered externally I'll locate #13, but then what?
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Wed 18-Apr-12 00:08:20
Print Post

If you can find cabinet 13, then you will be able to see if their is a FTTC twin next to it, examples below

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

Just had another look for cabinet 13 and i think i have found it

http://g.co/maps/uadbs

You will need to check in person to see if it is number 13, their should be a FTTC twin next to it or it will be about 50 meters away at most. If not look to see if their are any spray paint markings on the group that say dslam, as this would indicate if their will be a cabinet installed.

I also looked at the local town council planning applications and one was submited in February by Openreach to instal a cabinet at the location of what i believe is number 13, their was no objections.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 18-Apr-12 00:27:29)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Apr-12 13:27:53
Print Post

The cabling around Rayleigh is a bit all over the place, there are quite a few properties where the wiring does seem to go in directions and to cabs that would not make sense, but would have been legacy before such things as broadband was around.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 00:28:49
Print Post

Thanks for the link to the foto - which shows a cab in Rayleigh High Street (about half a mile from me). The one that I'm thinking of is near Rayleigh Station, a few hundred metres from my property. I did not get a chance to have a look today, but will check it out tomorrow.
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 22:02:21
Print Post

The cabinet I was thinking of is no longer there, so I'll check the High Street one when I'm next up there. However, it looks like we are not getting BT Infinity for Crown Hill, Rayleigh - more like The High Street, and the area all the way back to our local Exchange.
So I'd better get a BT director "name" to write to, asking why no BT Infinity ......... and when will it be available?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to