General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:05:53
Print Post

One of the few that hasn't seen any jump in speed

[link to this post]

So before the upgrade I was getting the full 40. Speed checker was estimating 33 down, 5 up even which I thought was strange as I was getting faster speeds than that anyway. Profile was 38.72. Line is a bit long so was probably expecting not that much of an increase. Speed upgrade today and my profile has actually dropped from 38.72 to 24.2! Download speed no higher than 23Mb, upload the same as it was before 8 up. What is going on here? Instead of an upgarde, it's more like a downgrade. Perfectly fine before the upgrade. Before anyone says anything about leaving the line to stabilise or whatever. It's not the speed, it's the PROFILE that has decreased. Max attainable rate is 48520 so I don't know why it's dropped down so dramatically.

So disappointed. I know it's due to the distance from the cab but it's so disappointing for me to see the majority of people here and other forums aswell as friends I know getting the full 76 or very close to it whereas I'm one of the few people who saw virtually no increase whatsoever. I'm connected to a cab 2 streets away when there is one right at the bottom of my road that I could have been connected to. Probably a longshot, but is there anyway to get cabs moved? Because I feel any more speed increases BT may decide to do in the future, my connection will be lagging way behind other fibre users and will see virtually no improvement. *sighs*

Edited by Uzzy (Tue 17-Apr-12 13:48:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:08:02
Print Post

Re: One of the few that hasn't seen any jump in speed

[re: Uzzy] [link to this post]

Cab moves, no you phone goes to the one it goes to. Short of you paying the £5,000 to put in the few metres of ducting and new joints in perhaps a 100 pair cable to shift your one phone line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:15:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So there is really nothing I can do then? While everybody on fibre will be enjoying and whizzing past with current speed upgrades and potential future upgrades, I'm going to be stuck on pretty much these speeds then? I just don't understand why my profile dropped though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:21:24
Print Post

Have you turned both your modem and router off and then reconnected?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:22:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes. I've done it twice since this morning.
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:32:11
Print Post

Ping has shot up aswell. Was getting pings of 8ms to bbc, now 16. Various speed testers giving me pings of 30-40+ whereas before it was below 10-20.
Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:45:36
Print Post

Hi - it's most likely a local noise (RFI) issue on your line that shows up now due to the change in profile.

You need to eliminate all the electrical kit you can and monitor the attainable speed for a substantial increase, then sort the profile issue later.

Increased ping times and speed much lower than attainable all point to substantial noise issue.
Standard User roboraver
(newbie) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:55:45
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Uzzy

How far are you from the cab that you are connected to ?
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 12:19:03
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

I tried unplugging as many devices as I could and I only saw maybe a 200Kbps increase in attainable rate. So pretty much the same.
Standard User Uzzy
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 12:19:40
Print Post

[re: roboraver] [link to this post]

Probably 600m or so but I imagine the actual cable length is longer though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to