General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 01:53:57
Print Post

Uploading to sites slow.

[link to this post]

Got BT Infinity installed last week and am happy with the download speed, however my upload speed seems to be slow even though I'm syncing at 20Mbits up. I noticed the problem with sites like 2shared, I'm uploading at about 150 - 200KB/s however Youtube seems to be about double that. I believe that BT are throttling my HTTP upload (according to Glasnost). Is this right? I thought that only P2P traffic was throttled?

Glasnost Results
Speed Test
Another speed test showing the slow upload

Rounded sync speeds (Unlocked OR modem):
Down: 55Mb/s
Up: 20Mb/s

Edited by Anonymous3 (Wed 18-Apr-12 01:57:02)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Apr-12 15:17:03
Print Post

Re: Uploading to sites slow.

[re: Anonymous3] [link to this post]

You are misreading the Glasnost report:

"There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 2972 Kbps while uploads using HTTP achieved up to 2951 Kbps."

No thottling

"Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 8080. In our tests, uploads on port 8080 achieved up to 2972 Kbps while uploads on port 57348 achieved up to Kbps"

notice the 'achieved up to [no speed] Kbps'?, this is because:

"Glasnost was unable to connect to the server port 8080. It is likely that this port is blocked for all connections, e.g., by a traffic shaper or a local firewall."

As for the other speed tests, take them with a pinch of salt. Not all speedtesters are created equal and some only use 1 thread at a time to test the speed when you may be multiple threads to saturate your upload or they are not working the speed out correctly.

As for the 2shared and Youtube uploads being slower then you expect - that again could be due to their HTTP uploading method. Try uploading multiple 100MB files via FTP and see if the aggregated speed is close to 2MB/s or not.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 01:26:57
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
You are misreading the Glasnost report:

"There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your HTTP uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 2972 Kbps while uploads using HTTP achieved up to 2951 Kbps."

No thottling

"Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 8080. In our tests, uploads on port 8080 achieved up to 2972 Kbps while uploads on port 57348 achieved up to Kbps"

notice the 'achieved up to [no speed] Kbps'?, this is because:

"Glasnost was unable to connect to the server port 8080. It is likely that this port is blocked for all connections, e.g., by a traffic shaper or a local firewall."

As for the other speed tests, take them with a pinch of salt. Not all speedtesters are created equal and some only use 1 thread at a time to test the speed when you may be multiple threads to saturate your upload or they are not working the speed out correctly.

As for the 2shared and Youtube uploads being slower then you expect - that again could be due to their HTTP uploading method. Try uploading multiple 100MB files via FTP and see if the aggregated speed is close to 2MB/s or not.

Thanks for your reply, tried uploading about 10 files to 2shared at the same time and the combined speed was around 2MB/s. Is it possible to increase my upload speed per thread somehow or is that not possible? I'm also still a bit confused by the Glasnost report relating to port 8080, what's that about? I tried Googling it but didn't find anything conclusive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-12 13:15:33
Print Post

850KB/s here (Zen FTTC).
Standard User Croftie
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:43:30
Print Post

Getting 975.1 KB/s with a single upload on infinity 40/10, not far off max.

I get the full 1124 KB/s to sendspace.
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 00:57:56
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Croftie:
Getting 975.1 KB/s with a single upload on infinity 40/10, not far off max.

I get the full 1124 KB/s to sendspace.

Tried uploading a file to sendspace and am only getting a max of about 250KB/s frown
Are you using the Home Hub or your own router? I'm wondering if my slow single uploads could possibly be caused by the Home Hub 3?

Edited by Anonymous3 (Fri 20-Apr-12 01:00:09)

Standard User Croftie
(member) Fri 20-Apr-12 04:47:56
Print Post

I'm using a HH2, you could try connecting directly to the modem to rule out a dodgy hub.

If you can't get more than 250 KB/s to anywhere on a single threaded upload I would contact the mods on the bt forum, there is a link to a contact form in the their profiles.
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:01:22
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Croftie:
I'm using a HH2, you could try connecting directly to the modem to rule out a dodgy hub.

If you can't get more than 250 KB/s to anywhere on a single threaded upload I would contact the mods on the bt forum, there is a link to a contact form in the their profiles.

Connected my PC to the modem and I'm still getting the same speeds, so it's not the home hub then.

I have gotten faster than 250KB/s on Youtube and am getting 1MB/s up on storageserver. I'll contact the mods on the BT community forums as a last resort as it seems I have to post a thread there first and may be contacted via phone (I would prefer email only).
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:12:57
Print Post

....as it seems I have to post a thread there first and may be contacted via phone (I would prefer email only).

No and no I'm pleased to say. Just go ahead and put N/A for thread and request email only. Great response from a truly professional bunch of people.

-.-. --.-
BT ADSL2+, 2Wire, online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 22:15:50
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radiomarko:
....as it seems I have to post a thread there first and may be contacted via phone (I would prefer email only).

No and no I'm pleased to say. Just go ahead and put N/A for thread and request email only. Great response from a truly professional bunch of people.

Thanks, filled out the contact form and hopefully will get a reply soon. I'll post back here when I get a response.

Edited by Anonymous3 (Fri 20-Apr-12 22:16:30)

Print Thread

Jump to