General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Phalanx
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 16:55:34
Print Post

Fibre Broadband Question

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

I've got a quick question if I may; perhaps some of the current FTTC/H users can help me out here.

I'm currently with BE Broadband for my internet connection, and they offer me literally unlimited traffic down my line. I've downloaded thousands of gigabytes a month (as a gamer, Steam is a big pull on that), and I'm really glad there's no caps.

I was wondering, are there caps on the FTTC/H connections being offered? I've seen my exchange is enabled now, so I was considering going for one, but I wondered if I might regret it later with the amount of data I download.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 17:02:45
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband Question

[re: Phalanx] [link to this post]

How much do you download?

Some providers have download caps (Zen).
Some providers use traffic shaping (BT).
Some providers are truly unlimited (Sky).
Standard User Phalanx
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 17:04:52
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

It varies month to month as games come out, but I'm a heavy PC gamer and love multiplayer gaming as well as watching things like youtube, iplayer and netflix in HD.

From what you've said, I think the only option I've really got is Sky.

Edited by Phalanx (Wed 18-Apr-12 17:09:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Apr-12 17:21:55
Print Post

Sky currently only supplies a 40/2 product and although a lot of people said that they would offer the faster products on launch haven't done so.

Also Sky needs to go and upgrade their exchanges, as not all of the LLU exchanges have equipment that can currently take FTTC. On a Sky forum a figure of 17% of Sky LLU custoemrs can only get FTTC.

But no matter who you go with you WILL have to take their phone line so if you need to move later on it can be a pain.

Also BT only traffic manage p2p and they also offer an unlimited download package.

It seems that you don't use p2p all your applications are not traffic managed by BT so with a 80/20 package as well. You may want to consider BT as well.
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 18-Apr-12 21:12:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

We dont force people to have our line rental service with our FTTC broadband

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 18-Apr-12 21:20:22
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Nor do most ISPs afaik... mine (IDNet) certainly doesn't.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Phalanx
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 09:16:55
Print Post

Adsl24, do you have any unlimited packages? (ie. no caps, etc, and no shaping against gaming traffic and video streaming?)
Standard User Justo
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 09:20:50
Print Post

TalkTalk offer an unlimited package (though some shaping of P2P at peak) and 80/20.

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 19-Apr-12 09:20:55
Print Post

Our packages are a bit of both, so during peak times it has a monthly usage cap, but off-peak its completely unlimited.

Regardless of the peak/off-peak set up, we don't throttle, shape or block any services at all and never have done.

But, I would urge you to be realistic about the amount of usage you want to use, as it does appear to be a substantial amount and on FTTC this will be even more, so you need to be aware of your expectations for the price you want to pay for such a service smile

Thanks

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Moradin
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 13:19:20
Print Post

The other thing to take into consideration, is the quality of customer support you want.

Stalk Stalk and BT have fairly notorius poor customer service departments, while smaller companies like ADSL24 have a more personal touch.

Some people are reporting no problems with BT, so mileage can vary.

BT have the option of a business line, (at extra ££) where customer support is uk based.

afaik none of the companies thottle usenet, just torrents etc.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to