General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User normandy
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:06:23
Print Post

FTTP termination point

[link to this post]

I will (hopefully, fingers crossed, touch wood) be getting FTTP sometime this year (decade, century).

I have seen that BT will wire up extensions during FTTC installation but was wondering how this works for FTTP; does anybody have any info?

I really want the FTTP to terminate some way away from where my master socket enters this house (which is directly by the duct from the cab in a stupid place). During install are they willing to extend fibre around the outside of the property, or must it be internal? If I had extenral ducting prepared would they be willing to pull/blow through that, any guesses?

thx for any advice -> norman
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:26:10
Print Post

Re: FTTP termination point

[re: normandy] [link to this post]

They terminate the fibre from the street on an external box, and use a short fibre lead to go through wall into the property.

Doubt they would really want to run the fibre around the property, but so few fibre installs that negotiation may be possible.

The ethernet cable of course between the fibre ONT and the router can of course be up to 100m long

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:26:48
Print Post

[re: normandy] [link to this post]

Take a look at the video half way down the page
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Edited by Ribble (Thu 19-Apr-12 21:27:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:34:40
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

No idea why they insist on the 3m between ONT and HH3, as that is just an ethernet cable like with FTTC.

Though if running longer distances then CAT6 might be a better choice

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robvxr
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 21:45:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've always wondered how they get the fibre from the cabinet to your house without digging up roads

BTBroadband

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User simon194
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-12 08:48:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They terminate the fibre from the street on an external box, and use a short fibre lead to go through wall into the property.

Doubt they would really want to run the fibre around the property, but so few fibre installs that negotiation may be possible.

The ethernet cable of course between the fibre ONT and the router can of course be up to 100m long

According the Openreach info the external box is fitted about a week before the main install and as they don't need access to the property they will probably turn up at any time and stick it where they want.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Apr-12 09:38:22
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

The decider will be where existing duct tubing goes, as they push a smaller tube through that, and then blow the fibre down this.

The tray that is outside, this is with it open
http://www.farina1.com/fibre/wgc_media/source/IMG_43...

The ONT (Fibre modem), and gives an idea what the size/look of the internal fibre cable looks like)

Diagram of how its all laid out

Standard User normandy
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 15:42:48
Print Post

Thanks very much for the pointers.

So they do run a <=30m fibre extension and the video says internally or externally. They guy also clearly said he will "drill through walls" and that video looks like he's run fibre right through a house. This must take them blooming ages, no wonder they keep moving our RFS date.

And they do all this by running the special tubing and blowing a fibre through that? I'm guessing if I did have external ducting in place and he could pull the special tubing through that, they might not object. I can discuss it when the first appt guy turns up, with luck.

Back to dreaming of that day then...

-> norman
  Print Thread

Jump to