General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-12 22:54:48
Print Post

Fibre availability question

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently live in York which has been FTTC enabled but apparently live in an area that cannot receive the service. I live just off a main road, if I run a search against a house on the main road they can receive a service which should be 'up tp 100mb down and 15 up'.

To give you an idea of the distance between myself and an eligible property I have included a link below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Foss+Ct&daddr=274+...

Do you think there is any hope of me being able to receive fibre or is it just going to be one of those things?

It's been fairly disappointing so far moving in to a built up area and having slower internet than when I lived out in the sticks!

Vodafone @ Home
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-12 23:15:20
Print Post

Re: Fibre availability question

[re: dovey2] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php may give some info for your postcode

FTTP is a very rare beast

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 22-Apr-12 23:20:55
Print Post

Well, if I've worked your post code out correctly to YO319YQ then the December spreadsheet shows this:

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
MYYO YORK YO319YQ {MYYO}{P76} 0 100% 10.23 4b Yes FTTP

Which is the same cabinet as 274 Huntington Rd, York YO31 9BT is apparently connected to, and the BT Wholesale checker shows can get FTTP.

Strangly when entering a guessed house number 10, and your Foss Court postcode the BT wholesale checker comes up two options, 10 Foss Court or 10 Huntington Road, but the correct postcode for 10 Huntington Rd is YO32 9PX not YO31 9YQ

BT's data seems to be full of errors, and perhaps it these errors preventing you from getting FTTP

Edit: Incidentally the correct postcode for 10 Huntington Rd is shown in the December data as being on the Haxby exchange, and scheduled for FTTC. If BT have the wrong data linked with your address then it may well confuse things. Perhaps you need an engineer to physically confirm which cabinet your connected to rather than going by data, even then this may get you no where going by other posts on here, BT just seem to go by the data in front of them rather than what an experienced engineer tells them.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 22-Apr-12 23:28:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 18:53:55
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thank you for the replies.

You are right with the post code (yo31 9yq), the house is 15 Foss Court - Not Huntington road. Having checked Mr Saffrons link it also suggests we should have 100% fibre availability. Sam Knows says I am on the York exchange with a straight line distance of 2.35km.

According to google maps the real post code for 10 huntington road is YO31 9FE but after looking on he BT site it does find two addresses with the 9yq post code, sadly both state fibre is a no go but interestingly come back with different speed estimates for ADSL so they must be duplicate lines.

Could I ask where you find the spreadsheet with cabinet information on?

If this is an error in BT's data, do you have any idea how I would go about getting it resolved? Plus net don't seem to want to know and just suggested there was nothing they can do.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-12 18:59:15
Print Post

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback....

Is where to start in the first place, I would include a link to a google maps, where you have placed the pin manually, and if this is different where the mapping software puts your address and postcode point this out to them.

Distance to exchange with FTTP is irrelevant, as the fibre can run for many miles with no problem. In theory you should have seen people playing around with drams of black tubing and compressors to within about 50m of the property, as during roll-out they go that close, and leave the final bit of fibre to the home for when invidiuals actually sign up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 19:23:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have you posted about the problem on the Plus Net forums or just raised a ticket? If it's the latter then I'm not surprised with the answer you got, I've had to resort to the forums recently and the response I get was far better.

So I would suggest posting in their forums,explaining the problem and linking them to this thread as well. I believe PN also have a forum on here. If you can get PN on your side then it may well make things a lot simpler.

Edit: Link to database - this version only has postcodes that are scheduled for FTTC or FTTP

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...

When searching it, make sure your postcode is in capitals and no space.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 23-Apr-12 19:27:21)

Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 20:10:16
Print Post

Thanks Andrew.

I have submitted feedback on the link you provided. I will let you know what I get back from BT.

I would be more than happy with FTTC although it does suggest FTTP is available here? At the moment I am stuck with a phone line with a fairly low sync and 52db attenuation, if my house mate is using the internet it is very noticeable.
Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 18:54:17
Print Post

Response from BT was:

Dear Mr Dove

Thank you for your email

The only information Openreach can provide about the commercial project is on the fibre rollout site :-
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/

If an area is not included in an initial deployment then there is no timescale for that location. The Government through their BDUK agency has made funds available to improve fibre coverage and is inviting applications from area Councils for funding. Local Councils are submitting requests to their area Councils for them to include nominated locations in their funding applications and would suggest speaking with your local Council on this.

Your Communications Provider (CP) is responsible for all aspects of your services including advising on those they can supply at your address. Openreach are a supplier to CPs and are restrained from dealing directly with their customers. Please contact your CP to register your interest in higher speed working so they are aware.
Standard User dovey2
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 18:57:11
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Plus net have also responded via the ticket stating:

"Dear Mr Dove,
As per my voicemail message, thank you for your interest in Plusnet fibre.
Unfortunately, your cabinet doesn't support FTTC technology at present and there are no plans to upgrade it in the near future.
The technology itself is dependant that your exchange is enabled for the service but the cabinets that feed to the exchange also need to support the technology. There is unfortunately no way for us to check when the cabinet is going to be upgraded. This is however part of the constant work that is being done by BT Wholesale to bring fibre to as many people as possible."

After having a look again at the bt site the house 20 seconds away can get 40/80mb FTTC and 100mb FTTP. I find it incredible that the maximum speed I can get is 4mb adsl.
Standard User Moradin
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 19:16:38
Print Post

This looks like an error, as your cab should be upgraded already.

CAB 76

but the checker says only FTTP, not FTTC. but presumably the cabinet is upgraded.

i would be going round checking the cabs, find it, and see if a new DSLAM cab, is nearby.
(there are pics on this site, of what they look like)

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Wed 25-Apr-12 19:19:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to