General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:06:23
Print Post

Looking for possible fibre provider and options.

[link to this post]

Hi.
I am currently on O2 LLU broadband only and phone with BT. After 3 years with O2 things seemed to have gone downhill with ongoing routing problems for the Be/O2 network and it's come to the point where I don't have much confidence in them as a long-term investing ISP and am consequently looking for another provider.
Our exchange has had fibre on offer for some time and I think I may give it a try. I have looked at Plusnet and BT and they seem pretty good. I note Plusnet have a connection charge but could see no mention on BT site if they have such a charge. Do they have one? Also, is there any up to date listing of fibre providers and their packages?
Thanks to anyone whom replies.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:22:42
Print Post

Re: Looking for possible fibre provider and options.

[re: jackburt0n] [link to this post]

i think this is more a less upto date and will give you a good guide as to who offers what (sky have not been added yet and it dont look like any of the 80megs have been added either though)

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:29:41
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Thank you for that I shall examine it closely.
BT checker says I can have a speed of 55.7Mbps down and 18Mbps up so fibre does indeed look very tempting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:36:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by jackburt0n:
Thank you for that I shall examine it closely.
BT checker says I can have a speed of 55.7Mbps down and 18Mbps up so fibre does indeed look very tempting.

it is indeed tempting for the past few years ive waited for an alternative to virmin media gave um multiple chances and they just kept giving me more reasons to dislike them lol, Along came FTTC (all be it took a year n half from cab been installed to actually going active) and im very happy currently on a 40/10 with littlebigone.com upgrading to their faster speeds when its offered may1st (got order in ready), Considering my router synks at 60/25 (capped at 40/10) on profile 8c i cant wait to see what 17a brings for me on 1st may smile.

Speedtest smile http://speedtest.net/result/1889998711.png

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 23-Apr-12 02:38:38)

Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:51:15
Print Post

Nice speeds!
I assume on fibre there will be two devices for receiving and distribution? Can you use your own equipment or are they BT provided as I assume they install the main bit of kit and socket whichever ISP you go with?

Edited by jackburt0n (Mon 23-Apr-12 02:51:39)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-12 02:59:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by jackburt0n:
Nice speeds!
I assume on fibre there will be two devices for receiving and distribution? Can you use your own equipment or are they BT provided as I assume they install the main bit of kit and socket whichever ISP you go with?

its slightly different for me as i use an isp on the south Yorkshire digital region network not open reach so ive got an all in one VDSL2 modem router (like current adsl),

But in general BT open reach come and install an open reach modem at the master socket (or on a data extension kit if required) then you plug a router into the modem some ISPs supply a router some dont, Yes you can use your own router if preferred just get any cable modem and plug into the Open reach modem.

Ash

Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 03:05:02
Print Post

Ok, thanks for outline. I'll check out the providers list you linked and mull them over.
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Mon 23-Apr-12 08:04:16
Print Post

With Fibre (FTTC) over the phone line a new VDSL2 modem is provided when the service is installed whichever ISP you choose, as the modem is installed by the engineer upon installation.

If you have any questions about the ADSL24 FTTC products do ask smile

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Apr-12 08:14:25
Print Post

The earlier respondent is in a rather unusual position re FTTC, as they are in the Digital Region area and not using Openreach FTTC.

I have this page describing the service and how you are connected.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 23-Apr-12 08:16:10)

Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 22:06:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information gents.
Can anyone confirm whether BT apply a connection charge of any kind for any of their fibre products? confused
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to