General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Apr-12 06:21:43
Print Post

Internal Bt Wiring

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm trying to isolate a Fibre issue. Does any know what would happen if the BT Drop wire wiring to the Junction box was installed back to front?

Ive had to install a new Junction box where the BT drop wire meets my internal wiring, what are the side effects of getting the wires mixed up?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Apr-12 07:05:50
Print Post

Re: Internal Bt Wiring

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Does any know what would happen if the BT Drop wire wiring to the Junction box was installed back to front?

Not really making yourself clear there ?
Does any know what would happen if the BT Drop wire wiring to the Junction box was installed back to front?

No dial tone, no sync ?

TBH, the wiring up to the NTE is Openreach property, the internal wiring would be that after the NTE. What issue do you have/are you hoping to resolve ?

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 23-Apr-12 08:11:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I think he means getting the pair of wires in the drop wire back to front, IE the A B connections of the NTE5.

Accoring to this website ( http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon... ) it's unlikely to make any difference, except with some modems (especially older USA sourced ones) and some answering machines are fussy about polarity, however I think that page predate's FTTC.

As Zarjaz points out the NTE5 and any wiring prior to this is BT's property and you shouldn't be fiddling with it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:07:45
Print Post

The page linked to by RONSKI gives the polarity (A ground B negative) so if you have a multimeter or the £3-4 one would cost on eBay you can check if you've reversed them on the back of the NTE5 which of course you are not allowed to fiddle with according to your BT T&C.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:15:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

AFAIK should not affect VDSL2

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Apr-12 12:24:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. I had to change the junction box, wasn't sure which way was which. Thanks.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Apr-12 12:52:50
Print Post

Hi Ex BT Eng here.

To be honest the guys don't check when they splice in the cab/BT terminator/Jnction box what way round the wires go as long as you use the correct pair that was used before.
Orange/White or Green/Black.
Either way round to the back plate of the NTE should be fine.

Thanks
Jason
  Print Thread

Jump to