General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edan
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 09:05:24
Print Post

Hyperoptic Hyperhub

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've ordered Hyperoptic broadband which will hopefully be connected to my building in the next month. It's the 100mbs service and I want to make sure I make full use of it!

I'm wondering whether anyone has any details on the Hyperhub that comes with the service? I've not had a great experience with wifi so far, or networking over the mains so I'd like to know whether it has dual band wireless 5Ghz as well as 2.4.

I'm also interested in it's settings, such as the ability to port forward and so on.

Or am I best ordering something like a Netgesr N900 for the best capability?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 09:38:18
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic Hyperhub

[re: edan] [link to this post]

The impression I have of the Hyperhub is that Hyperoptic have something that works as good as they can manage,

Is it the 1Gig service you have? As many routers are incapable of handling WAN to LAN speeds of that, the ports say yes fine, but the processor cannot keep up

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Tue 24-Apr-12 10:56:33
Print Post

[re: edan] [link to this post]

Hi edan

Thank you for your post - and welcome to Hyperoptic!

With regards to the HyperHub router, it does not have dual band wireless as it is no longer necessary. The UK used to be on 5Ghz , dual band was the transition phase of both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz however as we are now out of that transition phase, dual band is obsolete. 2.4Ghz is more effective over a larger range.

The HyperHub router does include other features which includes the ability to port forward.

We do recommend that you use a wired connection for optimum speed (environmental factors beyond our control can affect speed). The HyperHub has undergone vigorous testing to ensure it's perfect for the job!

If you would like to speak to one of our tech guys, please drop me an email with your contact details to sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com.

We look forward to connecting you soon!

Kind regards

Sunita
www.hyperoptic.com

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 11:09:22
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

One observation

5GHz can be handy in areas where finding a good 2.4GHz band is difficult, its not much good proprogation wise, but for kit in the same room can give better performance when competing with a dozen or more 2.4GHz devices

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dustofnations
(member) Tue 24-Apr-12 12:14:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Hyperoptic rep seems to be incorrectly referring to 802.11a which was on the 5GHz frequency band, and is indeed effectively obsolete.

@Hyperoptic: 11n also has a 5GHz mode, which has been developed by vendors far more recently than the 'usual' 2.4GHz mode, at present it is far less congested, and although it has less range tends to be faster over shorter distances. It is most certainly not being transitioned away from.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 12:45:50
Print Post

"2.4Ghz is more effective over a larger range. "

That very much depends on what else is going on at 2.4GHz in any given location, which is currently a bit unpredictable, but it's probably fair to assume it will get more congested rather than less congested as time goes by. Where 2.4GHz is already congested, 5GHz is unlikely to be (yet).

Wires are good, but not always convenient.
Standard User edan
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 13:38:32
Print Post

Hi everyone and thanks for your responses.

I'm inclined to give the hyperhub a go and see how I manage and then change it if needed. I think I understand correctly that the hyperoptic broadband comes into the property as an RJ45 socket meaning I can change the router later if I wanted to (to a non adsl one)?

It was the 5GHz on 802.11n that I was referring to as being in a two bedroom London flat means there are tons of private and public wifi networks in the 2.4GHz spectrum and I also have wireless keyboards and phones too.

As its a flat I don't need the range so much so I may get better speed on 5GHz wireless n, though it would need the fall back to 2.4GHz too for older devices that do not work at 5GHz.

I'm also considering wiring the flat with Cat5e cable as although I'm only going for the 100Mbs service 1Gbs could be a future upgrade once most of my hardware is upgraded to support it!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 13:40:11
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

Must remember my a and n's

ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Tue 24-Apr-12 15:47:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And I must remember to read my posts back to myself before I press submit! crazy

Apologies for any confusion with my previous post smile

Our current router works in the 2.4GHz band and weíve successfully tested it at speeds up to 74mpbs using wireless in an office environment however, as I mentioned earlier, the speed you achieve will be dependent on your environment. Itís actually really hard to find a router at sensible prices that can achieve 1Gbps throughput which is why we selected this unit after extensive searching. Obviously, you have to use a physical connection rather than a wireless one to achieve the best speeds though. All the standard features are supported like NAT routing, basic firewall, port forwarding, UPnP etc. Itís a really high specification device and we think youíll be very pleased with it.

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User edan
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 18:25:09
Print Post

Great! Many thanks for your help I'm now eagerly waiting for the install date and can't wait to ditch the Adsl!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to