General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:03:51
Print Post

Sky FTTC

[link to this post]

I had reason to speak with Sky reference my TV package and a discussion evolved around fibre. I checked my number but the checker stated not available. As I already have fibre I thought it was some error but the guy on the phone told me that their checker will recognisse a fibre line and you wont be able to order it. I am still in contract anyway but i am curious in how the network runs for the future as I am atttracted by the low cost and unlimited.

He informed me that the checker will not accept existing fibre lines until July and as my contract runs out in August should be enough time to see how the network copes.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:08:20
Print Post

Re: Sky FTTC

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Migrations between providers on FTTC via Openreach are possible, just that Sky has decided to not do them until July it seems

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:14:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

IIRC they won't upgrade existing LLU customers either at the moment? Only newbies.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beady_uk
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:12:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can anyone tell me if sky need to install extra equipment in the exchange for fttc or does it run on the openreach fibre equipment then hook up to the same setup as the sky LLU ADSL equipment.

I ask this because openreach are currently upgrading my exchange to fttc and I want it asap as I have only a 2meg connection. I don't want bt infinity since they throttle p2p so I want sky but I don't know if I need to wait for sky to installed fibre equipment into the exchange.

If sky need to upgrade the exchange, can anyone shed any light on their upgrade plan as I don't want to wait too long to sign up to fibre incase all the fibre lines in my cab get taken since everyone in my area is on approx 2meg connection.

Thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 11:53:33
Print Post

[re: beady_uk] [link to this post]

A new Openreach to Sky fibre link need to be installed cost £2,000 per exchange. So depends on when Sky order that, but otherwise believe their MSAN's can cope.

If an exchange is suffering congestion they may delay the roll-out, to avoid fibre customers seeing a poor experience.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 11:58:44
Print Post

Just for reference

For the last 7 days straight before fibre I had congestion. It's was around 2 Mbps peak (15mbps sync) and unable to stream sort of mid day onwards with evenings much worse

Just had fibre installed. All congestion gone and full speeds. Also completely different ip address range and it thinks I'm in aberdeen on speed tests when actually near London
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:57:09
Print Post

Currently have Sky ADSL & Talk, getting Sky fibre installed on Friday. I know that OR will do something in the street cabinet to connect my line to finer, but will they also have to do something to my line at the exchange end too? What exactly happens within the exchange in this situation? Just curious how it all hangs together really.

Edited by speedyrite (Wed 25-Apr-12 12:59:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:59:46
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

Assuming you are on full LLU, then sky would turn off their ADSL2+ service, and the VDSL2 would be connected in at the street cabinet.

The line will still go to the Sky Voice kit in the LLU areas

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 13:00:17
Print Post

They also can't upgrade current Sky Fibre customers to the new 80/20 until June either.

The work around is to cease the service and then a new provide.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 13:01:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

And that is no surprise, as they have not announced an 80/20 product

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to