General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:04:16
Print Post

New install - not to master socket?

[link to this post]

BT have just installed my FTTC and it is working great.

However, he installed the box on an extension socket (which was close to my computer equipment) and didn't seem bothered with the master socket at all. In fact, he didn't even look at it!

I thought that your modem had to be connected to the master socket - or has this restriction been lifted?

Zen
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:26:17
Print Post

Re: New install - not to master socket?

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

That would be unusual, normal method is to use the data extension kit, and still have the faceplate filter at the master.

If the wiring was all twisted pair the effect may be minimal if there is ONLY on phone extension. I would recommend removing the ring wire in this sitatuation, unless an ADSL faceplate is already at the master socket

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 13:30:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We have loads of extensions around the house, and this extension is actually a spur that comes off before the master socket (BT installed it that way when the extension was added. The engineer said that as long as I was using filters there was no problem)

I was worried that the BT guy today would kick up a fuss because of this dodgy wiring, but he didn't even go and have a look!

Zen

Edited by Jabes (Wed 25-Apr-12 13:40:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 13:41:36
Print Post

Okay based on the new description what may be happening is this

Wires enter behind the old master, but head off first to this spur extension, where the broadband is, and the rest of the telephones are then served by another pair of wires that return to the master socket.

That setup is OK, I presume a faceplate was added at the extension socket, which is actually your master socket, if the above is correct,.

Physical location of the sockets is not the issue, it all depends on the wiring behind them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 13:50:07
Print Post

No, that's not it.

The cable comes into the property. On the way to the master socket a junction box has been fitted, and the spur extension comes off that (where there the new faceplate is).

The spur socket is genuinely before the master socket, and not connected from the master.

- Zen Fibre
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 14:55:42
Print Post

Is there a filtered faceplate on the socket you are using, and if so was that there before? Is the casing the same size as the master?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:15:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The filtered faceplate is the one that was installed on the spur, the modem is plugged into that. This is larger than the original which was just a standard extension socket.

The master socket is a non-filtered standard sized socket, quite old, the one that allows you to unplug the entire house wiring. Which when you do, the spur socket continues to work of course

- Zen Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:18:21
Print Post

What I said still applies, as the signal could come back from this spur, and head off to the master socket.

Without pictures to see clearly what is happening hard to say. If the wiring is as you suggest then VDSL2 will suffer, even if you have filters, as you have star wiring and bridge taps which VDSL2 hate

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:30:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What I said still applies, as the signal could come back from this spur, and head off to the master socket.

Without pictures to see clearly what is happening hard to say. If the wiring is as you suggest then VDSL2 will suffer, even if you have filters, as you have star wiring and bridge taps which VDSL2 hate

What you have said is quite possible, however this has all the hallmarks of a very slap-dash installation, with the original extension socket replaced with a NTE5 and VSDL faceplate and no attempt to route the extensions via the faceplate also the line now appears to be doubled mastered .

It would be useful to know how long this installation took, was he/she in an out in 15 or so mins, I suspect yes as the OP says the original master was not even look at, so no attempt to remove the original master components.

Did the OP stress that they wanted the modem where it now is? that could be one reason why this poor installation has been done. not making excuses, just trying to see how this may have happened

Edited by systemx (Wed 25-Apr-12 16:40:23)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 16:57:03
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:
What you have said is quite possible, however this has all the hallmarks of a very slap-dash installation, with the original extension socket replaced with a NTE5 and VSDL faceplate and no attempt to route the extensions via the faceplate also the line now appears to be doubled mastered .

I said that the master socket was upstairs, and but all my computer gear is "here" (downstairs). The engineer just proceeded to install it downstairs on the non-master socket. It took about 20 minutes all told probably (I had pre-configured my airport extreme so it literally was plug in and go). I asked when he had completed it if he needed to see the master socket and he said there was "no need".

This is compounded by the fact that the original installation of this extension was a "cowboy job" - but I knew it was because otherwise it wasn't going to get done.

The engineer who did it told me that it wouldn't have tinkle suppression on the extension as it didn't go via the master, but since I was only going to use it for DSL (no phone) he wasn't worried.

So (as per previous postings in this forum) I was concerned that the fibre engineer might not like my current wiring, but I expected that he might - with some grumbling - remove the spur extension, replace the master socket with the faceplate and replace the extension wiring with a data extension

- Zen Fibre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to